Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

ultimat 120-55"

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

ultimat 120-55"

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ultimat 120-55

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

I have the NP ultimate 120 55'' mounting an XLS 120 two stroke. My plans are to do a side mount, but the insructions are short on where to begin measurements for installing the engine mounts blind nuts. Can anyone give assistance with this? I am guessing u fit the engine mount on the fire wall so the XLS 1.20 will fit inside the canopy. I all ready know i will have to cut out the bottom for the standard exhaust system.
Here is what I do...

First the very first thing I work on is the engine, no matter the plane.

I can take advantage of the missing tail feathers to stand the fuselage with the nose straight up, so I can lay the engine on the firewall, and figure out where I want to put things...

So, put the cowl on the fuselage. Get everything properly lined up without the engine in place. so the cowl is centered with the center of the engine cutout circle in line with the CENTER of the firewall ( not necessarily the registration marks! ).

Measure the distance from the cutout to the firewall carefully and add 1/8" to that.

This will be the distance you want the engine's prop driver to sit from the back of the mount.

Square the engine to the mounts at this distance and drill your screw holes. Put the engine on the mount ( permantly as it no longer will have to be removed ) and place it drive shaft up on a table.

Make sure the prop shaft is perfectly perpedicular to your table. Keep the muffler, off the engine.

With the fuselage pointed straight up, position the engine on the firewall and line it up with the registration marks.

If done properly the prop driver will be in the center of the firewall, and the engine will have a very slight cant to the right (looking at it from a pilot's perspective).
The base of the engine will appear be slightly to the left.

I sometimes tape the engine down so I can try to slide the cowl over the engine as much as possible to double check my alignments.

Once you have established the engine position, CAREFULLY, tape it down or hold it carefully and use a Great Planes Center Hole locator to mark where you will be drilling the blind nut holes.

Double, triple check then drill your holes slightly larger than the blind nut inner diameter.

You can take it from there...

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

Also, has anyone mounted there rudder servo and elevator servo in the back of the plane instead of insde the fuselage? I plan on using one elevator instead of two.

Thanks
The 50cc plane puts the servos on the tail and uses one servo per elevator, but if I recall correctly the 1.20 puts them in the fuselage.

I believe the 1.20 uses pushrods for both the rudder and elevator and uses one servo for the rudder and one for the elevator.

You may be looking at a diagram for the 50cc plane which looks identical.

BTW: I have both and the instructions mix illustrations for both planes so this can be confusing.

Again if I recall correctly you may need the servos in their default forward position for balance.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

What you are doing is a very commendable thing, but in an effort to avoid spending money unnecessarily, I would urge you to reconsider buying a radio system. As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, if he is flying 3D, chances are very good that he has a transmitter that will handle multiple models in its memory (20 or so). He is familiar and comfortable with this transmitter and will probably use it even if you buy him a new one. That money could probably be better spent on all the ancillary equipment that the plane will require. Unless you have someone build this thing and present it to him ready to fly, he would more than likely prefer to pick and choose all that stuff himself. Buy the kit and the engine and give him a gift certificate for $500.00 or so and he will be extremely happy.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

I skimmed through all the post. Didn't see anyone mention the DLE 20cc gaser. Would be a perfect match for this plane, especially since you stated he is already 3d flying.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:17 PM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: opjose

With all due respect to CGRetired...

This plane does NOT need $75.00/ea digital servos all around.

Standard servos for the ailerons will work, but slightly higher torque servos work best on the ailerons. You can get in under $30.00 for each of these. A standard Digital servo has more than enough holding power for the ailerons...

The rudder could use a higher torque servo, as could the elevator as there is one pushrod moving both surfaces.

You could opt for a better ( and more expensive ) digital servo for the tail surfaces, as he mentioned.

The Saito 115 is a nice light engine, but it is a bit small for this plane. I put an OS 1.20 pumped in my first one, and not only did I have to move stuff forward, but I wished I had opted for a larger engine. That is why I put in a Magnum 1.80 four stroker on my second one of these planes.

A 2 stroke O.S. 1.20 AX could do it, ( this is a nice low weight engine ) but on an Ultimate a larger four stroker is more authentic and produces the needed torque to swing that larger prop.

As CGRetired mentioned, you may not have to deal with the radio if you go with a gift certificate for that.

Yeah High torque is good, but IMHO I would put metal gear servos in at least the ailerons and elevator on a 120 size aircraft.