Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

pusher prop or regular

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

pusher prop or regular

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
cdaluisio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pusher prop or regular

can anyone tell me if a pusher prop is better then a regular prop. what are the differences and the pros and cons thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: pusher prop or regular

A pusher prop goes on planes with rear facing engines only. If you have a normal style plane with the engine up fron then you want a normal prop.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
cdaluisio

i understand about the motor i am putting together a jet with a rear motor but they offer both types for this motor and i dont understand the differences
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
redfox435cat

the engine is desighed to turn one direction, counter clockwise. with a pusher prop that direction pushed the air away from the engine. With a tractor prop,regular prop, the air is pulled toward the engine.

Props are shaped just like a wing and has a front and a back. The pitch of the prop is reversed on the pusher prop. so the front of the prop goes towards the engine. When this pro turns counterclockwise air is blowing away from the engine.

I'm getting the feeling your using an electric pusher prop jet. WIth eletrics you can reverse the motor but normal operation is counter clockwise. In which case it doesn't matter, I do advise if your new to stick with a pusher prop to keep everything normal and have less confusion with normal planes. The other thorn with jets is the duck fan unit and electrics. I've seen them orientated both ways so those you just reverse one lead on the motor to change direction.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Lets compare the props to bolts. A standard bolt has a right handed thread (righty tighty, lefty loosey). A bolt with a left handed thread is reversed (lefty tighty, righty loosey). That is also the difference between a regular prop and a pusher.

A front mounted engine rotates counterclock wise when vewed from the front. But a rear facing engine now turns clockwise when viewed from the front.  Hence the need for a pusher prop.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
jetmech05

Redfox is correct when he says that the difference in a pusher prop and a tractor prop is the pitch is reversed......In the days of round motors and props there was reverse, to slow the aircraft on landing...just like there is thrust reverse on jet engines today...to slow on landings....any way reverse on a prop was simply using oil to move a piston in the prop hub geared to the prop blades to make the blades go into negative pitch...or making it a pusher prop to slow you down on rollout......a prop is indeed a wing.......
Please take note that props don't push, pull or bite air nor do they screw through the air as the Brits call a prop an air screw....as a matter of fact nothing on an airplane pushes, pulls or bites air.....its all done with varying degress of lift...
please be warned when using pusher props some manufactures of props the wording on the prop faces the front of the plane.....some the aft....just look at the prop and remember its a wing the tapered edge or trailing edge goes aft.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

If you're using a gas or nitro engine, you need a pusher prop.

If you're using a brushless electric motor, you can just use a regular prop and reverse the motor rotation via the ESC programming or by switching any two of the three motor wire connectors. In this case, the front of the prop still must face the front of the plane! This means, looking at the prop adapter on the back of the plane, the prop will be mounted with the backside out, or backwards.