Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Balsa cowl for 4*40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Balsa cowl for 4*40

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 04:40 AM
ibekdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa cowl for 4*40

I saw this website and decided I have to do this to my 4star I'm building, does anyone have some tips on how to build it?
Also is there any cooling issues with that type of cowl.
BTW, I plan on putting in a 46 fx, If that makes any differance
balsa cowl
Old 06-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

I'm wondering why SIG doesn't change the kit or add an extra kit with a cowl made onto it since I see a lot of photos of 4-stars with them added on......

Maybe they will soon.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:55 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That would look nice. Are you going to use the one on the lower right or the one that totally encloses it?

You wouldn't have problems with either one for cooling. Most of the engine sticks out.

Look at a set of sportser plans if you need ideas how to do it. They use a fully enclosed front end like the blue one. Looks nice.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:13 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I've built two planes with balsa cowls and they look much nicer and are more durable than the plastic ones. I've never had to repaire eithere one after hundreds of flights.

Starting with the plywood sides, I just keep adding thick pieces of balsa where it is needed. Usually 1/8" sheet works good. In some places you will want 1/4" material if you have some. Try to orient the grain in alternate directions so you get a "plywood" effect.

It helps to constantly test fit the engine (with spinner attached) as you go. I don't hollow out the middle, rather only add wood where it is needed. Of course sanding the outside is expected. Use a sandable glue such as Elmers.

Add as much balsa as you can while still leaving room for the muffler and needle valve. I have about a 1/4" gap around the cylinder too.

Covering your sculptured masterpiece will take lots of heat and stretching! Take your time and you'll be surprised just how few pieces it takes.

Both the How Dawg and Razor 3D in my gallery have balsa cowls.

Tom
Old 08-09-2003, 01:49 AM
MrDuck

Default ibekdog

I am trying to build the same type of nose for my 4* 60. How did your's turn out and do have any sugestion? Thanks
Old 08-09-2003, 02:30 AM
nitromancer
My Feedback: (4)

Default Maybe an easier alternative?

Instead of building up the balsa build up blue foam around the engine that's mounted to the firewall, sand to shape then glass it. Just something I read about in a magazine. I thought about trying it with my 4 star for practice.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:52 AM
ibekdog

I actually have not finished my 4* yet, I decided to hold off until the winter and concentrate on really learning to fly my trainer well. If I would have got my 4* done before next season, I think I would have been to eager to fly it without really getting good with my trainer and would probably have crashed it. so I put the pieces back in the box, and put it away for now, But hey, it's Michigan, it'll be too cold to fly by october, so I'll get out the box aand start building. BTW, I still plan to build a cowl and sheet the turtledeck, so mine will be the baddest 4* in southwest MI
thanks for all the advice(the foam idea sounds interesting, I might try that)
Old 08-09-2003, 03:29 AM
MrDuck

ibekdog

I had a 4* 60 about a year ago and lost it due to radio problem. I can honestly say that this plane is more stable then your trainer but has a lot more maneuverability once you've master your trainer. You'll love this plane! What engine are putting in it?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:40 AM
MrDuck

SnapStall

Can you go more in-dept about putting the fiber glass on? I think I've worked with this stuff once along time ago on a buddies truck. We basicly layer the stuff with glue of some sort then fiber glass and then glue... It was pretty messy as I remembered it, but if thats what it will take

Thanks
Old 08-09-2003, 04:02 AM
ibekdog

for sure a 46fx, it's the same engine I have on my trainer, and I like the way it runs, and I like the extra power. after the 4*, I'll probly modify the lt-40 trainer for float flying, so the 46 will be just enough for it I think. I cant wait to get my 4* done though. But I really want to make sure I'm ready for it, so I figure if it's not built I can't attempt to fly it(which means I can't crash it ) The other thing is that I don't mind just flying the trainer for now, It is such a great flying airplane.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:18 AM
MrDuck

I started out with the lt-40 as well, and have to say that it has the perfect combination of maneuverability and stability.

I have also flown the Sig trainer, which is the most stable trainer on the market IMO, but as far as rolls and loops its like taking a corner with a two ton truck at 80 mph. Good luck on your project.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:11 AM
ebeygin

i would go with a balsa cowl personally.. the plastic ones don't give you as much flexibility with respect to design. you could find some that fit real nice, but a CUSTOM balsa cowl will always look more sleek.

i have instructions on how to made a balsa cowl for a 4*60 and 4*40.. they were published in one of our many rc magazines..

if you need them, i could send you the pdf file...i'm doing the cowl my self now.. and find the instructions very straight forward..

-eugn
Old 08-10-2003, 11:20 PM
ibekdog

Yes please send the instructions! [email protected]
thank you, I've been looking for just somthing like that
Old 08-11-2003, 02:57 AM
MrDuck

ebeygin

If you can please send me the instruction as well [email protected]. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Brent Hansen

ebeygin

can you please the plans to me at [email protected]
thanx
Old 08-12-2003, 02:35 AM
ebeygin

sure thing!

gonna come to work tomorrow morning and send it to all of you... sorry for the delay!

-eugn

p.s. got my airtronics rd6000 sport today... have all the parts needed to complete my baby...i'm soooo excited...take care all !
Old 08-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Montague

Another option for cowls is to make your own from a 2 or 3 liter soda bottle. It's easier than you think. All you need to do is carve a plug from balsa or foam. I do this by tacking balsa and/or foam blocks to the firewall, then going at it with knives and sandpaper until it looks like I want it to. Just make it a tad longer than you want the final cowl by about 1/4" or so.

Then cut a soda bottle in half, stick the plug in, with the front towards the neck of the bottle, and hit with a heat gun. I use the same one I do mono-kote work with. The bottle will shrink down to the plug. And the soda bottle plastic is actually very tough and takes a lot of abuse. It's nearly free, and once you have the plug, making replacements if you do damage it is a snap.

It's easier to do than it sounds like.