Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

just got a first plane HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

just got a first plane HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 03:47 AM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a first plane HELP

i just got a plane from my cousin. Its in pretty old shape. It has burnt oil all over the engine and the muffler and the rudder servo wont move to another side and the little horizontal wing on the back(elevator) is broken. My questions are: What should i use to clean the engine(i cannot take it out)? How do i take out a stripped screw? Anything else i should check for before i start the engine? it hasn't been flown for about 3-4 months. BTW its a Trainer with OS46
Old 06-28-2003, 04:51 AM
GelCell

why cant you take the engine out?

what is the stripped screw supposed to be holding together?

is there any other radio gear besides that one servo in the plane? what shape is it in?

where is the horizontal stab broken?

what kind of plane?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:57 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. More info would be very helpful.

Taking the engine out is about the only way you're going to clean it effectively.

The "horizontal wing" on the back is the horizontal stabilizer. The horizontal thingy that's attached to it, and moves is the "elevator". Which is broken, and where?

The location of the stripped screw WILL make a difference.

Starting the engine: Is the fuel tank in good shape? Are the fuel lines in place, do they have any cracks or pinholes? Do you have the transmitter and receiver, battery pack to power the receiver, and a working servo hooked to the throttle?

If no Tx and Rx, battery pack and servo, you can still start the engine, but you'll need some way to control the throttle. (The engine DOES have a good prop on it, right?)

You should check the glow plug to see if it's good. And you'll need a glow plug igniter to start the engine.

Fresh fuel will be necessary. 10% nitro fuel is the norm.

Dennis-
Old 06-29-2003, 03:43 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Extreme,
Since you have been flying helis, I assume you can figure out the radio stuff. you need to fix any broken balsa with glue and covering. Be careful to make it as strong as the original without adding too much weight. Almost anything can be fixed.

If the engine was running good, the discoloration might not be a problem. Since it ran 4 months ago, I would first try to fire it up!

Get some help to fly it. It is different than the Heli.!

Tom
Old 06-29-2003, 03:49 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

i dont run my engine all winter (7 months)......so it should be fine if you want to clean it get a tooth brush........take it to you LHS or to your club.....let them check it out.