Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting out wrinkles

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting out wrinkles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
dufault

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting out wrinkles

Hello,

So Ive started puting together my nexstar and there seems to be a couple of wrinkles in the elevators and ailerons. Can I use a standard iron for this at a specific heat setting? I dont feel like going out and buy a covering iron until I need to do some actual Covering. Anyone have some tips? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Getting out wrinkles

yes, you can use a standard iron, but if it shrinks (which it will likely do), some of the colored glue may get onto your clothes iron, leaving your mom/wife very angry when she goes to iron something. Do yourself a favor and get the right tool for the job. You should own a covering iron and heat gun both....
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You just keep the iron between a 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch off the covering if you are just shrinking or removing sags, wrinkles and bubbles. If bubbles, take a pin and poke a few holes in the covering to allow the gas to get out. The glue/pigment usually only gets on an iron when you go over edges but if you get any on your iron for some reason just use alcohol or acetone to remove it after the iron cools.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

When I started out with my Nexstar, I used a clothes iron stuck inside a white T-shirt. Started with low heat and increased the heat until the covering started to shrink.

The right tools are both inexpensive and invaluable. I use my heat gun much more than I use my iron, though I do use the iron a lot to make sure the seams are well adhered.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The heat gun makes removing wrinkles a breeze. It's worth the cost in time saved on just one model.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 AM
mandtra
My Feedback: (29)

it will take some getting used to. but buy you a heat gun , one for hobby use , and wear a good cotton glove and slowly heat the covering and rub it with your hand this will help you smooth out any wrinkles and make sure it bonds to the wood underneath . beware though. some less expensive ARF's do you peel and stick covering and cannot be heated . BUT most are the normal monokote TYPE that can be heated and shrunk
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
KW_Counter

Go to a swap meet and look for tools.
My covering iron cost me a cup of coffee from my thermos,
the guy couldn't break a $20.
Lots of good deals there for someone starting out.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 AM
jib

Talk to the folks at the club, etc. I picked up a lot of gear as throw-in's from a guy I bought a few ARF's from and wheels, etc. from guys at the field. Now it's finally time that I can share the wealth back to newer flyers.

It's not an inexpensive hobby. We all get help starting out and should return it once we are established.

Jack
Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

I would suggest that you get the hobby covering iron. They hold the temp a lot better than a household iron. For a heat gun, I bought a Black & Decker paint stripper. I put it on the low setting for models and if I want to take paint off the house I use the high setting. I works much better than hobby heat guns and the warranty is better.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
jib

Here you go.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102488

Jack

ps - I used my wife's iron through a tee shirt for a while. Putting off acquiring a real covering iron & blower was not worth it. Had I know, I would have bought these tools right away.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM
dufault

Thanks for the help guys. The clothing iron got out the wrinkles but Il be going out to get a heat gun and model iron asap