Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building Process

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building Process

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:32 PM
BLACK8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Process

I am building a Funaero Albatros DIII., it is a 1/6.5 scale. Things are going very well at this point. I am wondering though at what point I need to worry about running control rods or mounting things like the fuel tank. I have all but finished the fuse. I am putting together the landing gear and the cabane' for the wings. Next the instructions say to cover the fuse (The fuse is covered with balsa sheeting). Then I will be moving on to build the wings.
Do I just leave the fuse in the bare bones state, until I can get all the mechanical and radio gear properly installed?
The instructions don't really give any guidance.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2002, 06:11 PM
HGU 34

Default Building Process

Normally, I will build all the major structural components and then mount the engine, landing gear and fuel tank. At this point I will lightly tack on the tail feathers to get a basic idea of the weight and balance. I will also add the pushrods for the tail but will leave the servo ends unfinished and uncut. This does however allow you to account for their weight in the aft end of the aircraft when getting an estimate of the Center of Gravity.

CG considerations usually drive the location of the radio components as they are about the only weight that can be readily shifted in the plane to adjust the CG. At this point you can place the radio equip in the plane and adjust the CG. You may need a bit of nose or tail weight to adjust the CG even with the radio equip as far forward or aft as it will go. This is one reason I only tack the tail on as if tail weight is needed, I can add it in the rear fuse under the stab and take advantage of the long moment arm.

Once I have the radio equipment in the plane as well as any balance weight, I will finish the pushrods, cover the model, and then re-assemble everything and re-check the CG. I save the covering for last as it adds relatively little weight from a CG perspective but avoids dings and scuffs to the finish while installing radios, fuel tanks engines, etc. It's a personal choice though and you could cover the model first if you like.

In your case with a sheeted fuse, I would complete the sheeting before installing radios etc, as it adds a significant amount of weight to the tail and you will still need pushrod exits etc. As long as there are cutouts in the fuselage formers for the pushrods to pass through, installing them later is not a problem.

Old 11-18-2002, 12:57 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default Building Process

Remeber that these things need to be installed while you're building. Plan ahead. Plan to install them before it get too cramped, and you foresee ripping things apart! (that's obvious...)

the plans should indicate the 'reccomended radio gear loaction'. Go with that for the servos. the Rx and Battery can be moved around as needed. Try to position the servo tray on the CG if you have to guess.

Tanks should be removable, so, plan to be able to remove it. Don't forget the foam padding around it.

I usally test fit the tank as the fuse is being built,and at some point the decision is made, when and how to insert it, and the path it'll follow when removed..

Always save the covering for last. The your table and tools are clean, adn you can concenstrate on one aspect of the building at a time.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:15 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Building Process

My rule of thumb is: if you can't 'get to it' after this next step....it better be in there BEFORE I complete the next step.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2002, 12:54 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Default Building Process

?? How much building/flying experience you got? ?? A biplane is not a good place to be learning this stuff. (especially when it comes time to put te wings on straight... and then learn to fly.)
If this is your first plane, GET A TRAINER! The Alb DIII wll die in under 30 sec as a trainer.

I generally try to get the pushrods into the fuselage just before sheeting the bottom. (I almost always do the top sheeting/deck stringers before the bottom) This gives access to grip the pushrods with a pair of needle nose pliers or surgical forceps to guide them through the formers. With a plane that has nice big holes in the sides and pre-located exit holes... like the 4*60, you can delay the pushrods until just prior to covering the fuselage. (still got access to guide the rods.) Never dely to after the covering is on... Its easier to work the covering around the rod than to try to get the rod in whenyou can't get at it.

Sheathed, flexible pushrode (NyRods and similar) You MUST firmly anchor the sheath at each bulkhead, or every few inches. You have a very hard time doing that if you can't get inside the fuselage from the side, to or bottom. You can trim the end where it exits the fselage, so there's only a small hole to poke after covering. The rod doesn't have to be in the sheat as you cover the plane. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Pushrods built up from dowels and rod ends... (or CF arrow shaft. I wouldn't use square balsa on the plane you're building) can be passed through the formers after covering with use of NyRod sheath threaded through the fuselage after covering. However... PRE SHAPE the pushrod before the bottom (or top) goes on the plane. Its VERY hard to get a Y'd pushrod shaped right for a completed fuselage. (even if the kit has the shape planned out...) single ended pushrods can be agrivating to make after the fuselage is closed/covered. (nowhere near as bad as the Y'd ones.)