Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Battery charger/discharger What to buy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Battery charger/discharger What to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 12:12 PM
bootlegr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charger/discharger What to buy

I am a newcomer to RC, and am very confused about what Brand of battery charger discharger to buy.
I want to charge and discharge both my TX and RX batterys, and I am am also looking at using NImh
battery paks for electic flying. I have looked at Accucycle Plus but dont think it will do Nimh. How about
Cirrus cycle pro or SuperNova? Maybe somebody can suggest a different kind . Help would be appreciated
Thanks
Bootlegr
Old 11-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Roodester

Bootlegr,

I don't know much about NiMH battery chargers, only have a 12 volt car charger for mine.

However I have used NiCd's for years and like the Ace Super Digipace 3. It will discharge a battery pack to a safe level and then put a full charge on it switching to trickle when full. I can return from flying with batteries partially discharged and put a full charge on them without fear of overcharging and it cycles the battery in the process. The other thing the Digipace does is calculates the capacity of the battery by measuring the time it discharges on a specific load. Periodically I'll cycle a fully charged battery to get an idea of its capacity and if I see it dropping, I know the battery is getting old and should be replaced. I've had good luck with that machine.

Any comments from anybody whether the Digipace handles NiMH batteries?

Roodester
Old 11-18-2002, 07:52 PM
HGU 34

From what I have heard and read, NiMH batteries may not be well suited for electric flying as they do not discharge as fast as nicads and won't provide quite as much power as a nicad pack in really high drain prop spinning applications.

I do however use them for my on board flight packs, in transmitters, cameras and in underwater dive lights. The advantage here in addition to more capacity is the lack of a "memory" like a Nicad pack has. So essentially there is no need for a battery discharger and I can top them off after each use without hurting the battery. To get a real expert opinion though you might consider posting this in the electrics section.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the record, I have a SuperNova 250 and am happy with it. It's 'drawback' is that it can only work on one pack at a time. But, that isn't really a problem I use my SuperNova strictly for cycling batteries - not for everyday charging. For that, I have a wall wart and a field charger.

There are a lot of chargers out there, with differing technologies. Every one says that theirs is the best way to go. I can't say for sure which is best. I like what my SuperNova does, though the menu's are rather complicated to use (though it does have an automatic discharge/charge option anyway).

Hope this helps a little,

Bob
Old 11-21-2002, 09:35 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Properly sized NiMh packs are fine for electric power flight.

NiMh's should not be routinely cycled for "memory" prevention, espeiall those used for powering electric drive systems. (you'll deep discharge practically every flight anyway.)

The average sport R/C modeler won't really need a cycler. Simple thoughtful maintenance of the batteries is more than adequate. I've been flying R/C for appx 28-29 years, and NEVER had a cycler. I've had one set of NiCds give 10 years service. (which is outstanding in ANYONE'S book)

Just be sure to operate the R/C system for a while every month, and recharge overnight with the factory charger. The R/C system's original batteries should last an average of 5 years. (if you know someone with a cycler... they'll usually do a test of capacity for you, and that's only "needed" once every 6 to 12 months after the first year if the batteries show no abnormal loss of capacity.)

Use of an ESV for field monitoring gives a good safety reference. Don't disable a diode in the TS charging circuit.. the battery can almost always be unplugged and tested outside the TX. (usually takes less than 30 sec to access the plug in the battery compartment of the TX. Or 1 time acces to put a plug in, made from a servo extension on the FEW TX's that don't already have easy access.)