Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How many times do you crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How many times do you crash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
brickhead179
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many times do you crash?

I ahve a question every rc pilot dreads. How many times do you crash? i mean how often? every time on the clubs feild? or once a year by a freak accident? Share how often you wreck and why!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM
goirish

Default RE: How many times do you crash?

I try to do it as seldom as I can. Sometimes my planes have a built in expiration date on them.
[][][]
Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM
mclina

I have been flying for about three years. Right after my solo, it was unusual to have a full day of flying without needing some kind of repair. Not crashes, but busted landing gear, a cornstalk though the leading edge of the wing, etc...

I can only remember one "crash" in the past year, and that was only a landing gear repair. It was a half reverse cuban that didn't quite make it around during a fun fly limbo event, and it looked pretty spectacular, but the plane held together pretty well. I fully expect to plant one again, as I have become a lot more daring with low, inverted passes and things like that, but I am on a lucky streak right now.

I feel like I am at the point where I will not crash unless I am doing something really stupid, or I have some kind of mechanical failure that I can't recover from.

I think I have cursed myself enough for today....
Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have several models I have never crashed (I had to go and say that and so jinx them now . . . ). BUT, I have crashed my 3-D stik model twice this year. Both cases the landing gear tore away and in one "pancake" three of the four aileron servos lost gear teeth. At least I hit the ground upright, but if you have to get out the Titebond II or epoxy - that's a crash. I would say I fly a bit wilder and try zanier stunts (or just maneuvers closer to the ground) with my designated 3-D/sport model. Not disposable, just purposely owned to be flown harder.

Had a couple years where there have been no crashes or even hard landings. On the whole I'd have to say I crash at least once annually.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:29 AM
opjose

If you are not crashing planes, you are not flying enough!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Seldom more than once per day per plane taken to the field, but it is possible.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
dignlivn

Just once in the last 15 months. KOW

Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

I went 6 years without a crash once and then totaled 2 planes in 3 months. Both CFIT.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
flynte

Just once this year, but haven't really been out much this year.

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54756.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1284144  
Old 09-28-2009, 11:15 AM
skylane_182

I just soloed 4 or 5 months ago, and flew my trainer without issue for awhile. Got my hands on a Super Sport .40 a Dazzler .40, and a Slowpoke. Flew those without issue for 3 months. I was feeling very confident, then all of a sudden I lost the Super Sport and the Dazzler in the same month!

A gust of wind caused the Super Sport to bank hard during a take-off....caught a wingtip and kart-wheeled for 50ft, and my Dazzlers Spektrum receiver went into Failsafe about 10ft off the ground...went in hard. I gave my trainer to a new member, so I'm down to the Slowpoke, with a U-Can-Do (.60) almost finished and an Extra 300S almost finished.....I'm as nervous flying now as when I soloed!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Twice in the last 2 weeks....before that its been about 2 years! I think my plane might be tail heavy even though it flies amazing; cause it glides at Idle FOREVER and doesnt want to come down...well it does right when it stalls and its too late. Both times about 4-6 feet off the ground coming in for landing.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been flying for about 10 years and have had 2 crashes my first was about 2 months after i soloed and the last was 2 years ago when i crashed my mustang due to a bad servo extension.

aileron locked in a right turn and nothing i could do but watch it go in now i have had a few of my small electrics hit the ground with minor crashes no real damge, just my pride from having a brain fart LOL.

bassman
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
jetmech05

just once then I have to get another airplane.......seriously once maybe twice a year......this year so far has been the old hangar 9 Edge 540....this one was really radio problem.......
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

1st time- high speed dive with my Four Star 40, right wing panel ripped off and plane nose dived
2nd time- got me another Four Star 40 and was flying in the high school parking lot, clipped a light pole and busted wing up.
3rd time- elevator linkage came loose on my Pacific Aeromodels Cherokee, plane lawn darted.
4th time- flying my Aeroworks Edge 540 inverted without enough aileron expo, plane rolled right over my head and I lost it, nose dived
5th time- flying my Great Planes Silhouette(foam plane) doing a hover and lost control, plane broke into about 5 pieces(dont get this plane, its very very weak even though they advertise it as a tough foam construction)
Like someone else already said, if you ain't crashing then either you own a flight sim or you just ain't doing anything spectacular. One thing that makes me itch just a little is when people show up with 3D planes and hover them a 10000 ft in the air. I understand they stay high to practice but after months and months of the same thing it gets old. I admit I used to hover 3 mistakes up, but I slowly brought it lower and lower. To date I have crashed my OMP EDGE 540 3 times. First time I was trying to harrier land and I stalled and bent the gear pretty good. Second time, I lost elevators and had to pancake it to land and the motor ripped out and the right wing panel got busted up alittle. And just this weekend I was messing around a little to much and stalled the plane and the motor ripped out again, a little bit of medium CA and CA accelerator and its good to go.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer
Seldom more than once per day per plane taken to the field, but it is possible.
That sounds about right for me also.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
carrellh

I do crash too much. It has been pilot error every time, and it has been during landing attempts every time.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

WHAT ? CRASH? i never crash! the ground just comes up and gets me! guess you never heard that one before....huh!..............LOL ........THE GEETER
Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Had my share of crashes and I,m sure there are more in my future. They have become fewer as I get more serious with IMAC , by setting up for a manuvers ratherthan just let it all hang out .lol But some times it,s just fun to fly the covering off of it.
Secret to crashing is making sure you have plenty of back planes .

Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Adui

Define crash...

I have only had one major CRASH, but several rough landings....
Old 09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

I started learning to fly earlier this Spring. I've broken about a half dozen, or so, props since then. (landing "practice") [&o]
The only really bad crash I've had was when I parked it in a tree...hard. (depth perception error on my part). Had to pay a tree climber $50 to go up about 85 ft and retrieve it for me....then I had to rebuild the right wing...took out four ribs and the LE spar.
So, not am I learning to fly, I learning how to rebuild them as well! Win-Win!
Bob
Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Adidas22205
My Feedback: (2)

With my Micro Citabria, once every 10 seconds in my basement =/
Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
KWJ48

What would you consider a crash? Hittting the ground with something other than the wheels? If so I do it all the time. Just about everytime I fly. Pick the plane up, make sure eveything is good to go. Then try it again.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
opjose

For me a crash is something that requires somewhat extensive repairs, or a new airframe.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Well its hard to say that only crashes with alot of extensive repair it considered a crash. The OMP profiles are some tough birds especially with the fiberglass tube that runs down the fuselage. The two times the motor ripped out would have done alot more damage to some of these full fuselage planes. Just this weekend I was having so much fun that I ran out of gas mid-hover from about ten feet up, the engine quit and the nose dropped straight down, I had a split second to try to pull the nose up and the plane landed at a 45 degree angle on the nose and gear. No damage at all. If that had happened to a full fuselage plane I positive it would have busted up the cowl, broke the landing gear block out, damaged the engine firewall, and possibly damaged the wing if the gear got pushed into it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Dale54

Lets see, in the 28(+) years I’ve been in this hobby I’ve managed to crash just about every type of kit out there – more or less. In all that time, I suppose I’ve finally managed to become a fair pilot and, out of necessity, a prolific builder. Crashes are fewer these days but I still manage to crunch one now and then. For me, the main causes of my crashes are: 2% equipment or structural failures and 98% dumb thumbs!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84498.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1284434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14805.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1284435  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.