Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ok time for suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ok time for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok time for suggestions

and opinions. I'm looking to switch to 2.4 soon! I like the futaba, used one of the guys at the field and it was great. But almost everyone I know uses Spektrum. I'm looking for a 7 channel, but was wondering what everyones on the radios here is. Only real difference I see is that the Futaba has a 10 model memory and the Spektrum has 20 (and a couple more mix options). Tower has a great deal on oders of 300.00 or more, plus the futaba has the trade in trade up promotion going. I'm all about saving money!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
goirish

Default RE: Ok time for suggestions

Might want to take a look at the Airtronics if you want to save money. I have their 8ch got it from Hobby people. Good price. Seems like about 99 yankee green backs. Nice tx I also have a DX-7 that I like.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
timcat26

I have both a DX6i and a DX7 and have had great experiences with both of them (after the DX6i recall). I've also heard great things about Futaba FASST technology but already invested in 8 Spektrum receivers and don't want to switch.I don't think you could go wrong with either platform but don't often see toomany great deals on either platform either.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, no matter what you choose, there are deals out there that exlcude servos and you can use the servos you already have.

The best deal I've seen, is as Irish mentioned, and that's the Airtronics RDS8000 radio. You can get them with an extra receiver, without servos. I've seen Tower with them for $229, again with two receivers.

I have two Airtronics radios, both are 72 MHz, and both are fine radios, and RCKen uses them for his personal flying. He is all for the Airtronics. I like them. I also have two Spektrum radios, one DX6i and one DX7. I use them both and like them both.

Just remember that when you move to 2.4 GHz, you will be using an exclusive receiver for the radio you select, they are not interchangeable. You can buy some receivers for 72MHz applications that will work with several manufacturer radios, such as Castle Creations and Berg receivers, but not so with 2.4 GHz. So, that's a drawback. If you select Futaba, for instance, you are going to commit to Futaba. Same with Spektrum, although you can use the Spektrum receiver with their DX6i as well as the DX7, just keeping in mind the number of servo slots available in one is 6 (6i) and 7 for the DX7. The RDS8000, as Irish said, is 8 channels.

There are deals out there and good savings. And, all of the major manufacturers are great radio systems, (Airtronics, Futaba, JR, Spektrum) (if I left one out, I apologize to the critics) so if you stick with those, you are probably making the right decision no matter what you choose.

CGr.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying the last two seasons with a Futaba 7C Fasst system. I now have 9 planes on it and never a glich. I find it very easy to program.

Bruce
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the Futaba FASST system also and have never had a problem.

From what I have seen on these forums, JR/Spektrum seem to be easier to program, but a lot of people have had system problems.

Futaba are not as easy to program, but there have been very few complaints about problems.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
dignlivn

Hey Bill,

JMO

Futaba .

Everything else is wanna bees IMO

Bob

PPPPP
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

From what I have seen on these forums, JR/Spektrum seem to be easier to program, but a lot of people have had system problems.
I use a DX-7 and I actually like the Futaba programming better. Maybe it is because I started out with Futaba 72MHz radios and I got used to the way they do things.

One good thing about Spektrum/JR is the model match feature.

Still, I think I may give Futaba another look the next time I move up in radio. When I fly someones airplane with a Futaba transmitter, I just like the layout and feel a little better.

I don't think any of them are bad though; just comes down to personal preference and features you like most.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
jib

Hey Bill,

JMO

Spektrum .

Everything else is wanna bees IMO

jack

(just poking fun at Bob, but I have Spektrum and like it. That said, there isn't too much difference between all of the 2.4 TX from major manufacturers)

Edit: We looked at the DX6i , but sprung for the DX7. After all when will I have more than 10 planes. We'll, we currently have 8 programmed and will likely add 3-4 over the winter. Buy quality and plan for the long term.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 PM
beau0090_99

If I were to switch right now I would look past the cost of the Tx and look specifically at the cost and feature range of the Rx. I think Hitec has introduced their 2.4 for air now, and they are the Rx's that I have used on 72 as they have a good low cost solution for 8 channel full-range. I don't know what they will offer on 2.4, but my preference would be either Airtronics or hitec as of now because of cost.
Good Luck,
Curtis
Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
bigdanusa

ORIGINAL: billd76

and opinions. I'm looking to switch to 2.4 soon! I like the futaba, used one of the guys at the field and it was great. But almost everyone I know uses Spektrum. I'm looking for a 7 channel, but was wondering what everyones on the radios here is. Only real difference I see is that the Futaba has a 10 model memory and the Spektrum has 20 (and a couple more mix options). Tower has a great deal on oders of 300.00 or more, plus the futaba has the trade in trade up promotion going. I'm all about saving money!
It don't sound to me like your all about saving money if you're buying a 2.4 plus spending another $100 for a receiver for each plane you have in order for your 2.4 radio to operate them!

Now if you're buying a futaba 4 channel radio that will make your planes do just about anything a 2.4 can, now that's saving money!

big dan
Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM
BIG4D

I know several guys at the field that have been "shot down" because they have the wrong model selected using the Futaba. Spektrum eliminates this probelm. If the wrong model is selected, nothing works. Not so with Futaba. Be carefull if using one with multiple aircraft.
I have the DX6i and love it. Great radio and GREAT customer service.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Peoplel can't get "shot down" because they have the wrong model selected. Getting "shot down" usually means that radio interference, usually from another radio on the same frequency being turned on, is causing you to lose control of your plane. The only thing that might happen if you have the wrong model selected on the radio means is that the controls may not be correct. But a quick check of the control throws (which should be part of any preflight before you even start the plane) should reveal that the controls are not correct.

Multiple model radios have been around for 10-15 years now, and many pilots have managed to get along without Model Select keeping them from having problems. As I said above, pre-flight checks should catch any problems you have. it only takes 5-10 seconds to verify that the controls are set correctly, so there's really no reason to do so.

As far as the original question goes. I have Airtronics, JR, and Futaba radios that I own, as well as having used Spektrum and Hitec in the past. To answer your question I would recommend the Futaba radios. But if you ask me what I prefer I'll tell you Airtronics for all my own planes.

Ken
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. If you're too unobservant to notice the model name YOU assigned is wrong on the display then the pre-flight should have alerted you that something was amiss. At some point you have to pay attention and take some responsibility for your own life.

That's not "shot down". That's natural selection.

Check, check and double check. I check throws and response on ALL control surfaces before I taxi out every flight. (And you can also do like I do - reverse the throttle servos on alternate models so you have a 50/50 chance of finding the problem RIGHT AWAY!)
Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

My advice is to talk to people and ask them what they want the radio to do that their radio DOESN'T do. Find out the limitations of the radios, because they all do things well and all have some kind of limitation.

My experience was upgrading from a Futaba 6ch to the Airtronics 8ch. I found that the Airtronics lacks the capability of independent setup of dual aileron throws, even though it has it for dual elevators. It lacks dual rates on the rudder; this can be programmed in using one of the C-mixes, however since all C-mixes are controlled from the same switch, you essentially are giving up your other mixes (for me, I wanted to use one mix to slave my rudder to my throttle; unfortunately this mix would only be active when the dual rudder was turned on, which obviously didn't work for me). These features (or lack thereof) affected me in a negative way, but many/most people may be able to work around them. I fly in competitive events and thus have my own individual requirements/desires for my own radio.

I have not met many people who are unhappy with the Futaba and Spektrum 7 channel radios. If I were to do it again I would have started with the Spektrum DX7. I am currently on the market for the JR 9ch.

As I said, each of the big radio companies have great products in the 7-8 channel range. Each one does something that the others don't do, and each one lacks features that the others may have.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:39 AM
billd76

Great info all. Thanks, I realize that I will need to buy receivers as well. I guess the real questions I have to ask myself are: Will I ever own more than 10 models? Will I ever fly competively? At the moment my answer to those questions is no, with a strong maybe on owning more than ten models. What program mixes do I want to achieve? and finally how much longer before the FCC pulls the FM freqs?. Right now, the Tx I have has memory for only two models, it has never let me down. But using freq 36, which is very common for some trainers. I have had to wait at the field on a few occassions to fly. No big deal, as I enjoy watching everyone fly as much as flying itself. I think I would just be more comfortable knowing I have much less worry about interference issues with 2.4. It has never happened to me, but the chances of someone accidently turning on their FM radio while I'm doing circles in the sky is a distinct possiblity.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
skippy7399

I agree with most replys on here. Either system will work great and will most likely offer years of happy flying. I personally find Futaba eaiser to program. Probably because I started with Futaba and to me JR/Spectrum's Expo adjustments seem backwards.

Another option that may or may not have been thought of yet is what I plan to do, sometime in the future. I only have one plane, but two helis on my 72mhz Futaba 9CH radio. Which already has the compac module allowing me 10 radio and 20 module modle memmory. It can be upgraded to 2.4 buy purchasing a 2.4 module and receiver. The module plugs into the back of the radio and I just have to replace the receiver. Kinda same issue is which system to buy. Futaba has a plug in system so does Spektrum, which is way cheaper. I think the Futaba was well over $249, while the Spektrum was $109 with a $90 receiver from my lhs.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
billd76

ORIGINAL: skippy7399

I agree with most replys on here. Either system will work great and will most likely offer years of happy flying. I personally find Futaba eaiser to program. Probably because I started with Futaba and to me JR/Spectrum's Expo adjustments seem backwards.

Another option that may or may not have been thought of yet is what I plan to do, sometime in the future. I only have one plane, but two helis on my 72mhz Futaba 9CH radio. Which already has the compac module allowing me 10 radio and 20 module modle memmory. It can be upgraded to 2.4 buy purchasing a 2.4 module and receiver. The module plugs into the back of the radio and I just have to replace the receiver. Kinda same issue is which system to buy. Futaba has a plug in system so does Spektrum, which is way cheaper. I think the Futaba was well over $249, while the Spektrum was $109 with a $90 receiver from my lhs.
good point. where do I go to find out if I can plug a module into my Tx. It's probably at least 5 years old, it is a JR XF421EX
Old 10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
faulknej
My Feedback: (9)

I've been looking at switching to 2.4 also. Ireally like Futaba radios, the 7C being what I would buy. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the Spektrum Dx7 ability to use with Bind and Fly aircraft. Some of those electrics are really nice, and at the rate I'm crashing airplanes, very convenient. I don't really care to get into the battery thing though, it all confuses me.

Just something I've been thinking about. Jim
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
goirish

I think if one monitors their batteries there is not an issue. I know some at our field fly with the batteries much lower than I would. But I guess I am just paranoid. I do fly with the DX-7 both outdoors and indoors with the bind and fly. Never had a problem, I use 2500mAh rx batteries for outdoor use.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
billd76

Just checked the spektrum website and do not see my Tx listed as being compatible with the 9 channel module.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have 3 Futaba 9CAP on 72 mhz

ADDED JR 9303 on 2.4
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: billd76

I guess the real questions I have to ask myself are: Will I ever own more than 10 models? Will I ever fly competively? At the moment my answer to those questions is no, with a strong maybe on owning more than ten models.
Maybe?

Hah!

If you are even contemplating the switch, you are firmly hooked into this hobby, and your "maybe" is a DEFINITE YES!

You'll be kicking yourself later for option for a radio with "ONLY" 10 models....

I'd like mine to have at LEAST 99 models with the ability to dump and retrieve my configurations from a PC.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Brand or price is not your first choice. Remember if you buy on price only and later want more radio the best you can do is get back half. In fairness you must add that to the price of the new radio. The number of planes in the memory is unimportant. it's the computer power and channels that increase the price. For example. My GS planes are really only 4 channel planes, but I use all 9 channels and up to four mixes. My jet uses 9 channels and several match boxs as well. Will you ever own these type of planes? Maybe not now. I said at one time I wouldn't either,, but here I am. My advice is to buy the most you can afford now and not have to do it later. You will grow into the radio and use more of it's capabilties as time goes by. All the radio's play good together. Pick one and have fun learning what it can do. On my new plane I'll have 15 servo's and a smoke system. Wish I had a radio for each servo. Dennis
Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Minnreefer

I am currently looking at getting a new system myself. I am looking for a transmitter that can hold at least 15- 20 models, I currently have 9 planes, and would like to build 1 or 2 more on top of that. I currently don't have that many receivers. I like that the Hitec Auroa had telemetry feature that allows you to see the receiver battery level and will have other options in telemetry, and the price for receivers is very affordable(I think $50 or so for a 6 channel) I think the Airotronics 8000 is the best deal out there right now, but a little too basic for me for a 5+year radio. I see that Jr is coming out with a new transmitter, it will be interesting to see the details on that. I am going to the hobby store one of these days and feel every radio andtry to see which one feels the best.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.