Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Switching to Lipo for Rx Power

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Switching to Lipo for Rx Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 AM
ndb8fxe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to Lipo for Rx Power

I'm considering swithing to lipo Rx power for my 40-60 sized planes. I'm just not sure what the ideal setup will be. I'm using Spektum system and the models are 3d/fun fly type with some digital servos. What should I be considering for batteries/ regulators? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Switching to Lipo for Rx Power

Just curious... why are you doing this?

A simpler design is to upgrade to a good quality 6 volt (5 cell) pack of sufficient capacity, and you don't have to worry about an additional point of failure in your system (regulator).

My instructor taught me to minimize things, keep it simple, in other words. The very basic would be the battery directly plugged into the receiver. Add a switch to make it easier, but that adds a point of failure, but one that most people are willing to deal with.

In the case of a LiPo pack, you have a battery, that given it's chemestry, should be removed from the plane during the charging process, then you have to add a regulator to get it to either 4.8 or 6 volts to be compatible with your receiver and servos.. just adds that more complexity.

Think about it and your reasons for doing it, then think about the added complexity, weight, and so on. You may decide otherwise.. or you may not. But it's worth it to think things over.

CGr
Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
dignlivn

IMO,

I would go with a Li Ion or A123 battery. Much
safer and can be charged quicker. You will need
a Regulator to step down the Voltage however.

I,m going the Li Ion route myself, tired of nMih
and Nicads that need maintanace. JMO,

Bob
Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Switch_639

agreed... but according to me one doesn't even need a regulator with A123 or LifePo packs... cause I have used before 6V mih packs which peak charges at 7.2V... no issues... hyperion sells LifePo batteries specifically for receivers and also transmitters... their packs charge also up to 7.2V peak... so you shouldn't have a problem there either... in my DX7SE I use a fully charged 2650mah 3Cell Lipo from Rhino (it has specific plugs for spektrum, jr and futaba) ... no issues there either, don't even need a regulator like the specs recommend...
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Mikecam

For sure look into A123. I am slowly converting my 5 cell nimh to A123. Lots of benefits.

http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_batter...iants_faq.html
Old 03-21-2010, 01:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, why complicate it? base don my experience with electrics, lipos are not exactly the most reliable batteries. You also have the added failure point of a regulator.

Nicad and NiMh are very reliable and do a great job in just about any airplane, especially in the .40-.60 size range.

Now, the LiFe chemistry does look interesting. I will probably try them at some point but only after there are more of them out there and I see some good feedback from the real world.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
CGRetired

Yeah, Chuck. I just bought a couple of the LiFe packs myself and am experimenting with them. They are 1800 mah packs, I believe. The only problem with them is that they do require special care when charging. I also bought the Triton II EQ charger to work with them.

CGr.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
ndb8fxe

Thanks guys, the reason I was thinking about changing batteries is because my NiCads are all 4 cell and wanted to be better protected from Spektrum brown/black out. So I was thinking maybe a different technology might be good to save weight. Maybe I'll just get 5 cell nicads. I thought Lipo's for Rx was all the rave, but I guess I was mistaken. Any other thoughts?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
pdm52956

I used to have the Mimh and Nicads as receiver batteries until I lost a plane because of what I thought was a battery brown out. Turns out it was a switch failure rather than a battery problem, but the result was the same. I suppose it was infact a brown out, just not induced by the battery.

So, after all the debate, I switched to lipo. Of course that didn't do anything to stop me from having more switch problems, but it has worked out great for me as far as batteries go.

Adding a regulator will add another component that might fail yes, but I haven't suffered any ill affects yet and I like having the ability to fly all day or longer without charging or switching batteries if the one I'm flying does run down.

New technology comes with it's disadvantages as well. A123 appear to be something I'd consider until I heard yesterday that the discharge rate will drop off like a rock when it hits a certain point. No warning, just gone. I haven't taken the time to research it yet, but I don't know if what I heard makes it worth it. If this is something that you might find interesting, then I recommend that you take that time to look into it before hand.

I think, and it's only my opinion, that I'll stick with the lipo. If you monitor the battery properly, charge properly and like everything else pay attention to what the plane and battery are telling you, you shouldn't have a problem. If you stick with Nimh or Nicad, use the 6 volt pack.

You'll find yourself getting so many differences of opinion here that the only way to make a rational decision for you is to do the research.

Just my .01
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: ndb8fxe

Thanks guys, the reason I was thinking about changing batteries is because my NiCads are all 4 cell and wanted to be better protected from Spektrum brown/black out. So I was thinking maybe a different technology might be good to save weight. Maybe I'll just get 5 cell nicads. I thought Lipo's for Rx was all the rave, but I guess I was mistaken. Any other thoughts?
"Any other thoughts"

Not to start a war, But.

I fly with Futaba.

Bob
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
ndb8fxe

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

I used to have the Mimh and Nicads as receiver batteries until I lost a plane because of what I thought was a battery brown out. Turns out it was a switch failure rather than a battery problem, but the result was the same. I suppose it was infact a brown out, just not induced by the battery.

So, after all the debate, I switched to lipo. Of course that didn't do anything to stop me from having more switch problems, but it has worked out great for me as far as batteries go.

Adding a regulator will add another component that might fail yes, but I haven't suffered any ill affects yet and I like having the ability to fly all day or longer without charging or switching batteries if the one I'm flying does run down.

New technology comes with it's disadvantages as well. A123 appear to be something I'd consider until I heard yesterday that the discharge rate will drop off like a rock when it hits a certain point. No warning, just gone. I haven't taken the time to research it yet, but I don't know if what I heard makes it worth it. If this is something that you might find interesting, then I recommend that you take that time to look into it before hand.

I think, and it's only my opinion, that I'll stick with the lipo. If you monitor the battery properly, charge properly and like everything else pay attention to what the plane and battery are telling you, you shouldn't have a problem. If you stick with Nimh or Nicad, use the 6 volt pack.

You'll find yourself getting so many differences of opinion here that the only way to make a rational decision for you is to do the research.

Just my .01
Thanks for the input. You are happy with Lipo. How much could I expect to save in weight? and spend in money?

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

Not to start a war, But.

I fly with Futaba.

Bob
Copy that. No War!!!! I fly Spektrum
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

LiFE is the way to go. lipo/ion is a waste of time/money
in order for li-ion/lipo you need the batteries, which are just as expensive as life (a123)
but you also need a regulator which runs 25+ bucks for a 5amp reg which isnt enough imo, you should have at least a 10 amp (unless your just flying in circles), which is usually 50+
also if the reg fails....by by plane.

you dont need a regulator for life batteries, and they can supply a huge amount of current (which most regs w/ lipo/ion cant) which is great for digitals/high torques.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Switch_639

LiFE should really be the only option here... agreed with Jimmy... and plus you can charge them at high 4C rate... which means fully charged at 15min or so and then you still beat amount of charges which you will get out of a Lipo... Lipos the pros say lasts only round 100charges... where as if the Life pack is charged at low rate instead of 15min quick charge you can get up to 1000 charges... value for money...

here is a chart from Hyperion receiver packs...

Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Check out FEEBAY. there are some sellers of A123 s at reasonable prices. Also toolking.com for the drill packs that have a123s of course you will have to build your own packs but its easy.
The price per cell can be as low as $ 4.00+- .
Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: ndb8fxe

Then, as I said, keep it simple. Switch over to a six volt cell (5 cell pack). You won't need to do anything excpet swap them out.

CGr.