Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 AM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Dont know how I missed this thread the first time it rolled around, must have been that nasty thing called work! This hobby started out as something for me and my youngest son to do together, that was about 10 years ago. I'm still at it, he is now in the air force living his own life.not much time for dad anymore.[] Anyway, I think this is the greatest hobby in the world, the people , flying, and building. I build most of everything I fly, turned 48 years young this year,going on 12! Love this hobby,hope to be doing it 50 years from now!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
mudboger07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Years of experience in R/C hobby including operating/flying & building

Well lets see, I started flying when I was 14 with a 2 channel winddrifter glider and a kraft 2 channel radio, Im 48 now. My son started flying last yesar and he's 12.

Ken
Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
ratshooter

Bernie was awesome. He helped me and my dad build a Sr. Falcon. He recommended we flatten out the dihedral by half and also to put a Fox 60 in it. Then he taught me how to fly it. That plane was awesome and so was Bernie. I'm attaching a pic of him teaching me to fly.

Sorry for the necro, I was searching for anything on Bernie and found this thread.
Hello Bob_S. It looks like you are flying in the river bottoms off I-30 what we called the "levy" If thats where the photo is taken I used to fly there with my uncle when I first started RC back in early 1979. My uncle was another tall fellow and was 6'8" tall or "five foot twenty" if you asked him. His name was Buddy Ross if that helps. We flew with another fellow named Craig Schiver (sp) who was the local instructer. It was new and cool to me. I have loved airplanes all my life and RC just blows me away.

I got my first control line in 1966. A cox Bonanza. I was 6 and couldn't fly it so my father (a big kid in a man suit) flew it half a circle and killed it. I learned to fly CL when I was 12. Got into RC in 1979. I stay for about 10-12 years then take a 10 year break. This is my third time back starting december 2010. Manhow things have changed in 10 years. What I miss most was being able to find other flyers that like to just meet at a vacant field or school yard and fly. No clubs, no AMA and no membership fees. It just seemed so much more relaxed and easy going.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm back in 7th year back in this hobby. I've been in and out of this hobby since 1978 (university, work, marriage, unemployment, work .. family). Picked up my first issue of AAM in January 1974. Just enrolled my kids in MAAC and the local club. I've always liked the building part of the hobby. Done some rubber free flight as a kid, never did control line. As a teenagerr I built a midwest sweet stick, Falcon 56 MrkII (when it was new), Sig Kougar, and Bridi Soar Birdy. Currently flying ARFs, but scratch built a pusher F-18 from plans in which I hope to fly this year. Be concentrating on being a better flyer (that's where the ARF's help).  Hope to continue for many years, even after retirement (if the Conservative government stops rising the retirement benefit age. They just changed it to 67 years this last week).

Jim
Old 04-07-2012, 03:07 PM
ratshooter

I just won this off ebay. When I flew at the river bottoms I mentioned in my earlier post I flew a Little Stik. I guess I am going retro and trying to find my past. A lost cause I know. I have nothing but great memories about that little plane. I wore the first one out and had to build a second one. What fantastic little planes. Plus I have a NIB Magnum 25 and a spare radio just waiting to be used.

Click on the picture for a bigger picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170816739444...84.m1434.l2649
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM
the_madgenius

What an interesting thread. Yhankyou armody. I started control line 60 years ago. flew in a few comps, with medioca success, then took the big jump into r/cwhen i was 21, i had built a Cessna182 for a beginner aircraft, mmmmmm not wise , but i did have an instructor, so the cessna lasted 3 years before a tree grabbed it. So then my next was a Hustler, followed closely by a stunt queen. Then at age 30 i got my private licence and progressed to doing aerobatics, so the models were put away to deteriate for the next 27 years. Gave up aerobatics at age 60, because wife demanded it, but got back into r/c, and i am still here, at age 73 .
ps. I hope to still have another 20 years in this hobby, it does keep you young , doesn't it ?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Bob_S

ORIGINAL: ratshooter

Bernie was awesome. He helped me and my dad build a Sr. Falcon. He recommended we flatten out the dihedral by half and also to put a Fox 60 in it. Then he taught me how to fly it. That plane was awesome and so was Bernie. I'm attaching a pic of him teaching me to fly.

Sorry for the necro, I was searching for anything on Bernie and found this thread.
Hello Bob_S. It looks like you are flying in the river bottoms off I-30 what we called the ''levy'' If thats where the photo is taken I used to fly there with my uncle when I first started RC back in early 1979. My uncle was another tall fellow and was 6'8'' tall or ''five foot twenty'' if you asked him. His name was Buddy Ross if that helps. We flew with another fellow named Craig Schiver (sp) who was the local instructer. It was new and cool to me. I have loved airplanes all my life and RC just blows me away.

I got my first control line in 1966. A cox Bonanza. I was 6 and couldn't fly it so my father (a big kid in a man suit) flew it half a circle and killed it. I learned to fly CL when I was 12. Got into RC in 1979. I stay for about 10-12 years then take a 10 year break. This is my third time back starting december 2010. Man how things have changed in 10 years. What I miss most was being able to find other flyers that like to just meet at a vacant field or school yard and fly. No clubs, no AMA and no membership fees. It just seemed so much more relaxed and easy going.
Hey Rat. You're right. That was indeed the Trinity river bottoms but it was between i35 and 183.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm two years older now than I was when the thread started!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Am 52, been active in RC since 1999 or abouts. Always had a love of aviation, but time and obligations didn't permit me to get involved sooner. Went to some fun flys and such, always mesmerized by the planes. The stars lined up and was finally able to get 'involved'. First "plane" was a HobbyZone 'Outlaw'. A dinky electric twin that really didnt fly for squat. Then on to Aero Commanders, Firebirds, GWS slowsticks and so forth. Crashed a bunch of them. Kept moving up the chain to more capable Parkzone birds. A SIG Kadet was my first 4 channel. Then on to Eflite birds, such as the Ultra Stick. Up to this point had only 'flown' electric, flown being somewhat subjective as had been learning it all on my own. Then the ultra stick prop bite me, so wised up and joined the local club. While recouping I built a Telemaster. Flew that awhile, then decided to transition to gas. Jumped right in with a Dietrich Extra 260 w/ DA50. Assembled it myself, got help with engine tuning from guys at field. Got a lot of flights on that bird! And so it goes... biggest plane for me has been a 1/3 Paulistinha. Currently flying a TopModel 102" electrified Porter, and have a ECOMRC Wilga on the bench. Most fun you have with yer pants on...