Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servo screw sizes?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servo screw sizes?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo screw sizes?

Arggggg, Pulled out some unused servos and found the screws are missing.

I have older futaba FP-S148 and newer Spektrum digitals. (I also have some JR servos...these all have screws)

Can you buy just the screw? I know they are different and I dont want to strip the threads or have them come apart in flight.

I have many many misc. screws to look through..Some seem a close fit but not sure...

Kicking myself for not putting them back together when the were disasembled

steve
Old 04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
bonebreak

Default RE: Servo screw sizes?

What screw's are you referring too? I assume you mean the screw that holds the servo arm on, and if that is the case, I am unsure if you can buy these separate. If you are talking about mounting screws, those are plentiful in any hobby shop.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:05 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I think the OP is talking about the servo arm screw. If that is the fact, use the screws for that servo, Futaba, use futaba screws, JR, use JR or Spektrum screws, etc. The threads of the servo arm screws are different in each brand or servo. Do not force a screw into a servo it doesn't fit, you will strip it out, then you have to buy new gears. I would call the MFG of the servo, and order just that screw, however there may be a website to order online. Horizon Hobby is a good starting place.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the screw fits, then use it. I have mix-and-match screws on my servos and it doesn't make much difference. If they fit and if they hold the servo arm in place, well, it should be just fine for most of the "beginner" level planes.

CGr.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Spitfire222

I know these aren't the same screws, but since we're on the subject of servo screws....

If you're interested, considering buying hex head servo screws like these from RTL Fasteners:

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/d.html

I ordered a 100 piece bag of both 7/16 and 9/16 sizes a few years ago and I still have dozens left. It was one of the best investments I've made in this hobby...now I never have to worry about servo screws!

(Note: I do not work for the company, just thought I'd share a product I was very satisfied with [8D])
Old 04-24-2010, 05:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spitfire222

I know these aren't the same screws, but since we're on the subject of servo screws....

If you're interested, considering buying hex head servo screws like these from RTL Fasteners:

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/d.html

I ordered a 100 piece bag of both 7/16 and 9/16 sizes a few years ago and I still have dozens left. It was one of the best investments I've made in this hobby...now I never have to worry about servo screws!

(Note: I do not work for the company, just thought I'd share a product I was very satisfied with [8D])
I have a bunch of these screws in #2 and #3 in various lengths. The socket head is so much nicer than a phillips and the built in washer is perfect for servos, cowls and all sorts of other stuff. I got mine from Micro Fasteners. Wherever you purchase them, they are a worthwhile investment.

For the servos arm screw, Tower shows them for Futaba servos and Horizon shows them for JR/Spektrum. Servo City shows all sorts of them too. Heck, they may all be the same, I've never really paid attention.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM
shd3920

You did not specify what brand the screwless servos are but this is what I found. Hope this helps.

Futaba servo screws
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...rews&search=Go

Hitec servo screws
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDEN5&P=7

JR servo screws
http://www.helidirect.com/servo-armh...ews-p-7229.hdx
Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Popriv

Thanks Guys...

Steve