Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

BEST RC TRAINER

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
GOLDBERG EAGLE II
20.59%
ALPHA .40
41.18%
NEXSTAR
14.71%
PT-40
17.65%
TIGER TRAINER
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

BEST RC TRAINER

Old 04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
EpodzE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST RC TRAINER

Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: BEST RC TRAINER

I'd take the Sig Kadet LT-40 or the Hobbico Avistar versus any of the other trainers on your list. I'd happily fly the Alpha 40, the Tiger Trainer 40/60, or the Goldberg Eagle II as well. There's nothing seriously wrong with the Nexstar or the PT-40, but they both generally have too much dihedral to fly well in windy conditions. For what was on your list, I voted for the Goldberg Eagle 2.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I'm agree with BigEd , the LT 40 or Avistar , would be a better choice. Out of the ones posted. I'd pick the Goldberg .
ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I'd take the Sig Kadet LT-40 or the Hobbico Avistar versus any of the other trainers on your list. I'd happily fly the Alpha 40, the Tiger Trainer 40/60, or the Goldberg Eagle II as well. There's nothing seriously wrong with the Nexstar or the PT-40, but they both generally have too much dihedral to fly well in windy conditions. For what was on your list, I voted for the Goldberg Eagle 2.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
mclina

The concensus always seems to be that the LT-40 is the best trainer, and the Tower Trainer is the best trainer value.

All the rest are good trainers, and I think it comes down to personal preference and/or what is on sale.

I think the Eagle II is probably the best looking, with the clear windows, but that also makes it more fragile.

I trained on an Alpha 40 (before DSM2) and it's also a great trainer. I don't think the ARF has the same appeal as the RTF does. The RTF has the bragging rights of coming with the Spektrum radio.

I don't presonally like the looks of the Nexstar, but a lot of guys do.

Good luck
Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

I have the Avistar and it was a breeze to put together. The first flight it flew great, not much trim needed. I was able to fly the pattern my very first flight. I did crash and burn the next week due to pilot error and plane malfunction due to improper assembly (vertical stabilizer came loose). I have a new one that I put together with modifications to make it more bulletproof. I also am putting together a Hobbistar 60 mk111. I haven’t flown the Hobbistar yet so I can’t attest to it yet.
Some of the modifications I did on the Avistar;
I used 30-minuet epoxy on everything; the tail is not coming off this time. I replaced all the plastic clevis with GP metal, all the philips screws with allen machine bolts, basically I went over the plane with a fine tooth comb and tweaked everything I could from the fuel tank to the servo installations, made sure all the nuts and bolts have lock tight on them. I also drilled out the motor mount and bolted the engine directly instead of the clamp style that comes with the plane. I fuel proofed all the surfaces that were exposed to fuel, bulkhead, firewall, were the covering started to come off at the front landing gear, the covering around the nose, and anywhere I could think of. Hopefully these modifications will help in keeping the plane in the air.
TB

Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
repirazz

Another vote for Sig Kadet LT-40!

Another good one is the Midwest Aerostar 40. You can still find them on Ebay.

Of the ones you have listed, I'd say the Alpha.

-rep
Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
captjckirk

No Doubt, the Sig LT-40 has so many votes, altho not on your list, it is a great trainer, very frendly. When your training is complete put a set of Planefun floats on it and have a great time at the lake. Put a .46 size engine in it at the start, it will be all you will need to fly floats.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

You forgot the Tower trainer,,thats my vote....Rog
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
kristj179

flyinrog
i woult like to second that vote.for the tower 40 i think it a good deal for the money
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

The best Trainer in my opinion is the Sig Senior Kadet. It's big, easy to see, easy to fly, and it almost fly's itself. I have one that has about 60 flights on it and it is a gem. Sig has their stuff together on this beautiful plane.