Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Great afternoon of flying >

Great afternoon of flying

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great afternoon of flying

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great afternoon of flying

well i got off work today at 6 got home by 630 ate and then headed to the sod farm to fly.... its not the place that i fly all the time so i decided that i would try something new... I had been having problems landing where i usally fly at in the hills.... so i didnt have time to make it out there today to fly so i decide to go to the sod farm and welll. it was a great session of flying...
I got in 4 or 5 positive flights with many touch in gos.... i have been having trouble landing here lately but today i decided that it was all in my head.... where i usally fly it is not flat land to land on some of it according to what runway you are on is either up hill or down hill some... but landing is landing if i can land on flat land i sould be able to land any wheres its all in my head... anyways had a good day of flying..............
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great afternoon of flying

Ditto, my instructor didnt show up till late so we will pick up again tomorrow but Igot a few great flights with the Slow Stick till my radio glitched and crashed it.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post! I have a field at my home, however I am also in a club and go there most of the time. The field at home has a few more obstacles to overcome...shorter runway, powerlines, small hill, etc. It took me some time to realize that I could fly some of my planes there. I just recently completed another runway at home and just waiting for the grass to come up. I am really going to enjoy it because it is right beside my pond and my shop and I think it will make for some fantastic flying just somewhat restricted as far as airspace acreage. I would be able to taxi straight out of the front of my shop and take my plane off the runway! That will be cool!

When new to a runway that I have never flown on one thing that has really helped me is to carefully watch others flying and thier approaches. In addition, I watch certain areas of the ground and how relative airspeed affects certain planes on landing. I study the runway carefully and even go around it on foot and view all the terrain (hills, fences, trees, tall grass, weeds, if any), especially the landing approach airspace (critical!), and how things will affect my plane on takeoff and landing. The approaching airspace is critical to effective landings for many reasons. Will I have to bring my plane down quickly with hotter speeds due to limited airspace or do I have plenty of room for a smooth approach to bleed off altitude for that perfect greased approach?

Even the grass affects how these small aircraft land...is it Bermuda grass, Kentucky Fescue, Crabgrass, or a mix of grasses with Clover and Orchard grass? So many variables that affect take off and landing. With my slightly overpowered Pulse XT I can take off pretty much anywhere withint 15-20 foot and land in a relatively small space, but my other planes require a bit more room as they are a bit hotter flyers and don't have any aileron brake systems programmed in yet.

I cannot fly my Revolver at home yet just simply due to the difference in air speed and I have not gained enough experience with that plane to be confident in landing it in a shorter area and bringing the plane to same exact spot each time. I think I have enough room, however I am just being wise about it and will fly at home when I am able to control my landing patterns better with this type of aircraft.

It was great to read your post and I certainly enjoy reading about happy fun filled flying time! [8D]
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM

well went bakc out to the sod farm tonight... well tonight didnt go so well but i still have my plane... it was a little windy today but that didnt bother me... well i did a pre flight check and all the odds and ends and taxied out and took off i flew a few rounds around the field and then all of a sudden it died so i had to dead stick it well i didnt want to turn back and try to land with the wind being a rookie only flying for 6 months i didnt want to panic so i just stayed calm i should have turned back and landed with the wind but i was afriad it would stall but after i get to thinking about it shouldnt stall with the wind pushing it but any ways i kept going straight and had to do a dead stick landing into a corn field with a cross wind and in between me and the corn field was the sod farm irragation system and a high line lucky me i was high eought that i flew over it and and landed in the corn field about 400 yards way after it finaly got down well when i got to the plane the only thing wrong with it was the landing gear was broke off but it is designed that way i have nylon bolts in it so that it will shear on hard landings... well landing in a corn field i had quite abit of dirt on the motor and in the carb so i got it all cleaned up and i have nothing wrong with the plane..... anyways to make a short story short... just dont panic on your dead sticks and keep flying the plane you will be fine
Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was just way too nice today!! I got out really early and no wind at all then it started kicking up a bit. Nothing outlandish like it has been just on and off. There were only 6 of us out at the lake bed so we just took turns a lot of the time. Maybe hit 90 out there but it is only 88 at home so when I got back I worked on planes for a few hours. Can't go tomorrow and the weather report is for more high winds starting Friday so grounded again. Back to kit building next week. Sod farm??? What is this sod you speak of??? There isn't much in the way of green here but I do miss flying from a soft field every now and then.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Bermuda grass sod farm
Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bbrown2828

Bermuda grass sod farm
Bermuda grass is not too bad. Some of the types of grass are really bad (like that really fine grass that is like hair and thick as hair on a dog's back) and sort of BOGS the plane out while taking off...gotta have GOBS of HP to rip 'er up when taking off!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday was way too windy. Itried to fly the Slow Stick and even with a brand new brushless Ihad it flying backwards a few times.
Ended with a slight cartwheel and a broken prop but no other damage. My instructor never even showed since it was way too windy to fly anyway.
Glad Ihave finally made friends with the Slow Stick, its great practice before firing up my Avastar trainer.