Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Returning to flying. Wish me luck

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Returning to flying. Wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to flying. Wish me luck

Dear All,

since January this year, a much hyped trial has kept all of us off the flying field and there has been practically no flying. During this time, I have been keeping in touch on the Realflight. Let me the first to say that it has been a thoroughly boring experience.

Anyways, from Saturday we again have permission to fly on the field and I will be going with my Reactor. Hope that the sim has not spoilt my flying and that I am still in touch. Am anxious a bit which is usual for me while restarting anything after a breaks and because, atleast tomorrow, I will be on my own. There will be many-a-old hands over my shoulder though. Of course I will take it easy, breaking my engine in again and flying low throws. Since I fly mainly by reflex, hope I dont mess up.

Wish me luck

Ameyam
Old 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Returning to flying. Wish me luck

Good luck, I have never been big on flight sims, but a lot of folks love em...most of all,,have fun!!!!....Rog
Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
stang

Altitude, altitude, altitude! Keep it a couple of mistakes high at first would be my suggestion. Have fun with that and good luck.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
n19htmare

My first flight is this Saturday after a LONG break. Last flight was back in July of last year so it's been about 10 months for me.

I wish us both luck
Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 PM
bonebreak

I am in the same boat as you guys. I haven"t flown (except for on the sim) since August of last year. I hope to get out soon. I will be flying my Cessna for the first day out, but will have the Edge in the car based on how I feel I am doing. Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Live Wire

Looks like there is alway's something that gets in the way of our Hobby[:@] Have a great time, and I hope you have a great time with your plane's
Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aint it the truth,, I've flown I think 6 times in the last 1 and a half years and 4 of those times were back in January during freakish warm weather....so I went ahead and bought another tower trainer to start over with, when I can build it...life seems to get in the way a lot....cant wait to fire up my old .40la its plenty of power for the tower...Rog
Old 05-22-2010, 02:18 AM
ameyam

Actually, I didnt go. Reason: when I took the plane down from storage and hooked everything up, only one aileron responded. This is a problem I am facing since I got the reactor. Every week one of the ailerons either does not move or move slower than required. Invariably it is down to a extension problem. Since these are two piece wings with ane servo per wing and mounted on the wing itself, I need two extensions- one from the servo lead into the fuse and one within the fuse from the servo lead to the RX. The second one allows to disconnect from the RX without removing the RX form its place while installing or removing the wing. Servos are channel 1 &7 and mixed as dual aileron setups require. One of these two seems to have a problem every other week. I have gone through 6 or 7 hitec HD extensions in this way.

I am using 9CAP with 2.4ghz TM8 module and futaba s3010 servos everywhere except throttle.

Sat up late at night and get everything working. And now, this morning, the other servo is doing the same.

I am considering putting in Muldental extensions instead of Hitec now. Will need to replace only the aileron ones as the ones on elevator and rudder have leads soldered (instructor did that in initial setup). Any idea what my problem is and whether the Muldental ones are good enough?

Ameyam
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM
n19htmare

Went this morning. weather was not cooperating and it really started to bum me out. After the rains we've had some really good sunny days here in sunny San Diego............except today.

Went around 10A and noticed the fog right away but decided to go there anyways, once I got there, fog wasn't much of an issue since visibility was decent but it was still VERY gloomy and rather windy. And it was crosswind to top it off.
Waited about an hour and it became less gloomy and fog was gone, still windy. Just my luck.

Well, I said to hell with it and put together my Phoenix Models Yak-54 powered by Saito .82 4-stroke. I had spend 10 months on a break and last 3 days fixing the plane so theres no way I was gonna go home without atleast powering the plane up. Started it, fellow member helped me tune up the engine. There were only 3 of us and neither of the other guys wanted to fly.

I started it up and just took off. Legs and arms shaking but did ok. 3 minutes and landed, phew... next flight, 5 minutes, then an 8 minute flight and by the 4th flight, it was as if I never stopped flying, felt very comfortable. It's amazing how it just comes all back to you.

So to the OP, no worries, once you get couple flights in, you'll feel like you never left :P
Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ameyam

Actually, I didnt go. Reason: when I took the plane down from storage and hooked everything up, only one aileron responded. This is a problem I am facing since I got the reactor. Every week one of the ailerons either does not move or move slower than required. Invariably it is down to a extension problem. Since these are two piece wings with ane servo per wing and mounted on the wing itself, I need two extensions- one from the servo lead into the fuse and one within the fuse from the servo lead to the RX. The second one allows to disconnect from the RX without removing the RX form its place while installing or removing the wing. Servos are channel 1 &7 and mixed as dual aileron setups require. One of these two seems to have a problem every other week. I have gone through 6 or 7 hitec HD extensions in this way.

I am using 9CAP with 2.4ghz TM8 module and futaba s3010 servos everywhere except throttle.

Sat up late at night and get everything working. And now, this morning, the other servo is doing the same.

I am considering putting in Muldental extensions instead of Hitec now. Will need to replace only the aileron ones as the ones on elevator and rudder have leads soldered (instructor did that in initial setup). Any idea what my problem is and whether the Muldental ones are good enough?

Ameyam
Are you using the aileron-differential mode on the 9CAP? I use the same radio and module (and a R617FS or R6008HS receiver) and went with ailerons in channel 1 and 6 in aileron-differential mode and have had, knock wood, no problems. If you are not using a Futaba receiver with the Futaba transmitter and module . . .
Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 AM
ameyam

I have a sneaking feeling that problem was battery related...

Got a better pack now, will report by evening. Need to take a nap now. Weather's too HOT to think

Ameyam