Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

DIY transmitter/receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

DIY transmitter/receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 PM
jcampbell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY transmitter/receiver

Hey guys,

I'm new to rc aircraft and was wondering as to the logistics of building my own transmitter etc. Is it possible to use variable resistors, A/D converters, MCUs and a transmitter module to control the rudder, for example? I know that just stringing these things together won't make a plane fly but is this general concept correct or am I off track?

Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jordan
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY transmitter/receiver

First question is why would you want to build your own Tx?

Whilst building transmitters (and receivers) from components was not uncommon when I started with planes (don't ask how long ago) modern gear is so good that there is little reason to try and build your own (except maybe just for the h*ll of it).

If cost is the issue you are probably better off looking for a second hand Tx, with lots of people moving to 2.4 there is a lot of cheap 36Mhz gear around over here, I assume it is the same with in En Zed!

Terry
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Redback

First question is why would you want to build your own Tx?

Whilst building transmitters (and receivers) from components was not uncommon when I started with planes (don't ask how long ago) modern gear is so good that there is little reason to try and build your own (except maybe just for the h*ll of it).

If cost is the issue you are probably better off looking for a second hand Tx, with lots of people moving to 2.4 there is a lot of cheap 36Mhz gear around over here, I assume it is the same with in En Zed!

Terry
Long long ago in a far off distant time there was a place called Heath Kit that offered a build it yourself TX, even a tach. One of my friends fathers started with the kit and I have his tach today. Like all things of the past, kits and electronics that we made ourselves, these are things I haven't seen offered in decades. For those of us that enjoy building and tinkering I wouldn't even know where to look these days for the components to do it. Radio Shack is now a place to buy toys and cell phones and if you ask the hired help for anything in the electronics section {what there is of it} they sort of point you to the drawers and let you fend for yourself. All I can do is wish you good luck. I can understand your desire but these days building anything yourself is becoming a lost art. I don't think they even teach radio shop in schools any longer, or much else.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if you could build and calibrate a proportional control transmitter, you'd wind up with a product vastly inferior than what you can buy in the marketplane here for $25.