Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

cost to start

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

cost to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Cyrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost to start

Hi I've been interested in rc aircraft for a long time and am curious about what it would cost me to get started.

I want a good radio that i can use for many years to come, one that would support a heli if i decide to get one down the road.

Just looking for a general idea of what i would need beyond the radio and trainer plane. And what these things would cost.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:14 AM
BotleRocketWar

Default cost to start

Here's what you will need-

6 channel computer radio for $200. The Airtronics RD6000 is my favorite.

A trainer which will run about $110. The Sig Kadet LT-40 is the best trainer you will find. The Hobbico Superstar, Avistar, and the Goldberg Eagle 2 are also decent.

An engine which will run about $80. The Thunder Tiger Pro .46 is my favorite.

That's the whole airplane setup. AS far as field equipment goes-

You need a glow igniter to start the engine. That's $15...

You need a fuel pump to pump the fuel. That's $10...

You will need some glue to assemble the airplane, which will run about $15.

You will need tools like allen wrenches, screw drivers, and an exacto. I'll assume you've got that stuff. If not, just add on about $20 for all the tools you could ever need.

You will need a gallon of fuel to start which is $15.

You will need a couple Master Airscrew 11x5 props for that engine, let's say that's $5

Then you will need a good glow plug for the engine which will be about $5 for an O.S. #8.

I come up with $475 total...That's for an engine, radio, and equipment that is compatible with hundreds of possible airplanes to move on to after your trainer. Sorry all that stuff is out of order...

The next step is finding the local flying field, getting your AMA insurance ( http://www.modelaircraft.org ) and finding an instructor to get his advice. Of course, once you get an airplane you will need to get an instructor to teach you how to fly.

Welcome to RC Universe and the best hobby in the world...
Old 07-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Highlander

Default cost to start

I agree with most of the previous , but for radios check out the eclipse 7 by Hitec or the 9 C from futaba, a little more money but they are more compatible for trainers at most clubs that airtronics.

as for trainers the LT fourty is one of the most popular,

with this selection of radios , probly looking at around 600.00 with all the misc. things , will actually be a drop in the bucket once your hooked on RC, just the way it is ,LOL

by the way welcome to RCU !!!!!

Highlander
Old 07-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Spaceclam

Default cost to start

bottle rocket war, you can get an 8 channel comp redio cheaper than the 6 channel comp system used. I would reccomend a futaba 8u. they don't make them anymore, and they have been replaced by the 9c. it will be completely unneccessary for what ever you may want to do unless you get into battle bots or jets. that won't be for many years. you can probably get a used futaba 8u for $150. don't worry about it being used. it is not like an engine, it is just electronic circutboards. it will be j8ust as reliable used as it will be new. jsut ask the guy if any damage has come to the switches. If you want to get into gas, I would strongly reccomend a trainer first. Don't be a hotshot and assume you can fly it all. there are many things you have to get used to like aileron and rudder reverse when it is facing you, inverted flight, and landing. a trainer will dampen the shock of these events. i would reccomend a .40 size trainer. The .40 means that they reccomend a minimum engine size of .40 cubic inches. you wouoldn't want to go much higher than a .50 on that. So, that gives you your range of engine sizes. i would reccomend out of experiance os engines, while i have heard that thundertiger makes some good ones too. you want a ball bearing engine. bushings are cheaper, but they have their drawbacks. Out of the os line, a .46-50 2 stroke would do the job nicely. Their cheaper engines are not very good in my opinion. i would get their .40 or .46 fx. they are kinda pricey, but you will really appreciate the benifits. their machining job is incredibly precise, and they use really good needle valves and their carbs work really well. All engines require a break in period. what this is is when you run the engine under forgiving circumstances, on the ground, and monitored. their manual tells you how to do it. They do a good enough job that they are ready to fly in 2 tanks. they will not be outstanding performers until they have had about 5 -7 tanks, but the short-break in period and good carb are where your money goes. a four stroke is completely unneccessary for a trainer, and will require a lot more mantainance. keep things simple until your 3rd-4th polane. As for the plane, great planes makes a good trainer called the pt-40. it is about $120. it is really forgiving, and takes a lot of punishment. other trainers such as the right flyer are cheaper, but why i am not sure. i would reccomend the pt-40. i was able to actually fly the plane after about 5 flights, but you want to get to know the plane and be able to recover from difficult scenarios. it takes time to encounter them, and by then you will be able to. if you jump ahead too fast, you will not learn that critical skill, and when the time comes, you won't have that forgiving plane and the chances are against you. that's is why i did not solo until 6 months had passed. for a reciever, i would once again reccomend futaba. they make some really nice recievers. you will not need pcm on a trainer, just get fm (sometimes refferred to as ppm). most computer systems (including the 8u) you can select pcm or ppm, and it remembers that individually for all 8 model memories, including mixers, trims, atvs (adjustable travel volumes) reversed chanels, etc. the memory is expandable to another 8 models. that means that you can have one heli on pcm,. and a plane on ppm and switch between the two models with just a couple of buttons. as for your flight box and such, hobbico makes some good ones at low price. they sell a flight pack which includes a starter, battery, and box. you can get your fuel from the local hobby shop. one thing to keep in mind before i let you go, sometimes going cheaper, can get expensive, and fast.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:25 AM
crossed thumbs-delete

Default cost to start

Welcome Cyrus

In a word how serious ar you?

Find a club close and go and visit. See what they are using as far as equipment and if you still want to try RC then expect to shell out around a Grand.

Two years ago when I started I tried to keep the expenses down and wasted more money than was necessary buying thins that was not needed. Expect to spend around a grand the first year. That will include a second plane after you become bored flying a trainer.

Look for a six channel transmitter that has a frequency that will be available at the club field where you plan on flying.
And good luck.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Default cost to start

Take the price of the ARF you want (different factors for a kit built)
Add in the price of the engine
Add in the price of your radio

Throw in from between $75 - $150 for *extras* like props/fuel/fuel tubing/spinner/starter/glow plug igniter/field box/power panel and stuff like that.

If you've never really thought about R/C and are just *interested* go out to the local club (or clubs if more than one) and talk to some people and watch. Flying is FUN but requires some work and some people shy away from that.

Plus some clubs (mine does) usually has some guy with a beat up trainer that he lets just anyone fly once or twice to see if it's even fun for you.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:02 AM
Spaceclam

Default cost to start

you have to have qa devotion.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:06 AM
brschmid

Default cost to start

i bought my trainer for around 300.00 for everything, it is a duraplane with a TT Pro 40, and a Hitec Laser 4.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:26 AM
david a

Default cost to start

Take your highest estimate then double it.