RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Fueling a plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/11640325-fueling-plane.html)

Deadlyscars 07-16-2017 08:20 AM

Fueling a plane

Today I bought a used hobbico superstar aircraft. I'm looking for a simple way to fill the tank just so I can test the engine before I do anything to it. I know the motor will need a little tlc which is fine but I want to get a little fuel in it to see if I can get it to run. I do not have a pump yet or anything. I am new to planes but want to make sure this motor runs before I spend any money into it. Really it just needs a radio and a pump obviously but I think I might upgrade the receiver to a 2.4gh. Anyways... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

AA5BY 07-16-2017 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Deadlyscars (Post 12352419)
Today I bought a used hobbico superstar aircraft. I'm looking for a simple way to fill the tank just so I can test the engine before I do anything to it. I know the motor will need a little tlc which is fine but I want to get a little fuel in it to see if I can get it to run. I do not have a pump yet or anything. I am new to planes but want to make sure this motor runs before I spend any money into it. Really it just needs a radio and a pump obviously but I think I might upgrade the receiver to a 2.4gh. Anyways... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Lacking a pump of any kind, a tank can still be filled using gravity or a syringe. A very small kitchen funnel or small recycled glue bottle can be used for gravity filling. You would do so by connecting to the line that goes to the carb while leaving the other line open.

mgnostic 07-16-2017 08:44 AM

Go to you local farm store or other business that has veterinary supplies. A 60 cc /2 oz syringe is only a couple of bucks and they hold up well to glow fuel. It may take several syringes full to fill the tank but it is way cheaper than a pump.

j.duncker 07-16-2017 12:45 PM

An old washing up liquid bottle and a couple of fet of fuel tubing will do the job. Wash it out then push the fuel tubing in a couple of inches. You may need to ease the hole with a drill or one leg of a scissor used as a reamer.

You can suck the fuel out of a can and squirt it into the tank on the plane.

I used to change my fuel tubing annually including that inside the tank.

jester_s1 07-18-2017 07:15 PM

Just go get a pump. If you are serious about getting into RC planes you will need a fuel pump, glow igniter, and starter/battery. I know the startup cost for this hobby can be a lot to swallow, but It's not as bad as having bought equipment that just sits because you have gotten frustrated.

Calvinman 07-18-2017 08:39 PM

Hi Deadlyscars, and welcome to our addiction :) I would take the tank out and give it an inspection first, it may need to be rinsed out and may need to have some of the tubing replaced. The stopper can start to disintrigrate and crumble with age too.

Calvi

jester_s1 07-19-2017 06:10 AM

Rereading your post, Deadlyscars, I'm going to ask a question. Is your goal to just get the plane to run and fly it a few times, or is your goal to get started in the RC plane hobby and develop into other planes with time? The reason I ask is that some beginners take an interest not really wanting a hobby but rather wanting a toy. The difference is that a hobby is ongoing; it's a pursuit that one works toward just for the love of it. Aeromodeling is a great hobby. A toy though is essentially instant fun that can be pulled out and put away as the mood strikes you. RC planes aren't good toys at all, because they require significant skills to fly and must be maintained to work properly.

So if you are looking for a hobby, the best thing you can do is connect with a local experienced aeromodeler who can help you with your engine and look your plane over for any needed repairs. With a little luck, this person will also be an instructor or know one who will teach you how to fly. I think if you choose to try doing this all on your own you will find it very frustrating, not to mention expensive in the long run.

Rodney 07-19-2017 06:15 AM

Calvinman gave you some good advice. The tubing inside the tank, if old, is probably not very flexable anymore. You need to be sure the clunk can keep the pickup line at the bottom of the tank as the plane changes attitude.

JohnBuckner 07-19-2017 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Hydro Junkie 07-20-2017 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gee, John, that's very similar to my two "Six Shooters".
TowerHobbies.com | Dave Brown Six Shooter Fuel Pump GlowAttachment 2225066

BrightGarden 07-21-2017 06:07 AM

What engine does the plane have - not critical, just interested.
I have a bunch of pumps, let me know where to send and I will send one.