RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Beginner's Question For You Guys (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/2891158-beginners-question-you-guys.html)

bruce88123 04-20-2005 11:03 AM

RE: Beginner's Question For You Guys

Sure Newb, anytime. Come on over . No charge, anytime.

Pilot Chad 04-20-2005 11:05 AM

Thanks bruce. I don't want to risk my SPAD :D

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 11:14 AM

Good, we all have our opinions.

And when I'm told I haven't flown enough to have an opinion is where my problem starts. The dynamic duo here seems to think I have no place in this hobby. They think all beginners should stop by their club first. They seem to think all beginners have $600 laying around. Unless your calculator is broken, $110, is less then $500. You can spend what ever you want to spend. But if someone wants to spend $110, they aren't doing it wrong.

Crashem, go crash something expensive.

Crashem 04-20-2005 11:24 AM

You can spend what ever you want to spend. But if someone wants to spend $110, they aren't doing it wrong.
I realize this may be beyond you but believe it or not the 110.00 planes do not fly the same nor do the feel the same as the ones Flyboy and others recomended and that you comparision does not give the individual a true sense of the hobby. For some the performance differences are so significant that only trying the 110.00 is actually doing them a diservice.

And yes I personally believe that experience is extremely important when evaluating several differing opinions. And from your posts you seem to have very little actual experience.:eek: Therefore I felt it pertent to the conversation I for one like to know how an individual arrived at there opinion:eek: That way I can determine its worth;)

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 11:30 AM

You are so damn narrow minded, why?

If I can stand on the ground, and control the plane in the air, ITS AN RC PLANE! There is no dollar amount that needs to be spent before you consider yourself a member of the hobby.

BuzzBomber 04-20-2005 11:44 AM

As someone who flies both glow and electric, I think I'll throw in my 2 cents here. In short: Buy what you're comfortable with, and rest assured you can have success with either glow or electric for about the same money, up to about a .25 sized sport or maybe a .40 sized trainer. At present, I am flying both simple brushed motor setups and more sophisticated and powerful brushless motor powered planes. The prices on both motors and batteries have plummeted during the past two or three years while the techology available to the average user has exploded, and higher quality items have become available at reasonable prices.
With that out of the way, the Superstar with ailerons would make a fine trainer, and a few simple upgrades would make it even better, such as replacing the stock motor with a geared setup as outlined for the PT-Electric in [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1266418/anchors_1266418/mpage_1/key_superstar%252Cgearbox/anchor/tm.htm#1266418]this thread.[/link] It won't cost more than $40, and extra batteries can be had for about $20 to increase your flying time at the field. Having three nimh batteries will allow you to fly almost continuosly by charging one while flying another. You'll also need a good peak charger if you get into electric, and believe me, you wind up needing it for glow sooner or later anyway. The Great Planes Triton is an excellent product; there are others as well. The Sig Kadet EP would be another good electric trainer, shown [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJKE2&P=7]HERE[/link].
If you choose to go glow, there are many choices: Avistar, Superstar, Kadet LT-40, Nexstar, Alpha, etc. All ARFs, and not a bad one among 'em, and lots of people are familiar with them. As I stated earlier, startup costs are likely about the same whichever way you choose, just ask if you want a reasonable budget outline for either E or G power. Most important thing is to join AMA and at least spend some time with a club if you're serious about getting into the hobby.

Crashem 04-20-2005 11:52 AM

You are so damn narrow minded, why?

If I can stand on the ground, and control the plane in the air, ITS AN RC PLANE! There is no dollar amount that needs to be spent before you consider yourself a member of the hobby.
Is it just me.... Please tell me if it is!!!!!!

Does anyone who has actually flown both the 110.00 Fighterbirds/Aerobirds and glow and higher performance electrics feel the difference.

Fighterbird you need to read and comprehend what is being written IF you had you had you never would have responded to my comments the way you did. The hobby is about a love of model avaition therefore a kid flying a paper airplane should be considered a member. You need to get off the money kick its not a have/have not question.

FighterBird873 04-20-2005 12:01 PM

You make it about the money, you do!

I try and add my two cents, and suggest starting small. I get all these comments saying its not even close, its just a toy... blah blah blah. I made my comments based on my experience, and based on my experince, your a PITA.

FLYBOY 04-20-2005 12:24 PM

Fighterbird, your taking my comment about it being a toy too litterally. They are all toys. I will say it again. We all gave input as to what a good trainer would be for the question asked. Dont' take it personally that people don't agree with you. Just move on. He will get what he gets based on the info he collects. Noone said you were doing it wrong. If you light the challenger, fly it. When you fly a few more, you will understand why we say the difference is like night and day.

Go enjoy your plane. Its not a personal. There is a huge difference in the planes. Accept it and move on.

MinnFlyer 04-20-2005 12:27 PM

What don't you guys understand about "Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. " ???

I think the question has had enough answers, so I am locking this thread