Notices
Boats - Full Scale Discuss full scale watercraft here

Villian rc boat looses power in left hand turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM
kenthemover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Villian rc boat looses power in left hand turns

I have a old villian i upgraded to a brushless motor. I installed a water cooling rudder. It does good in straight away but looses all forward power when i turn left.
any ideas how to fix this?
Kenny
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Turn right.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 AM
rgburrill

Perhaps your servo is binding in a left turn dragging down the voltage to the motor. Also, if it's a high speed turn it could be lifting the cooling water inlet on the rudder out of the stream on a left turn.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 AM
kenthemover

I have a aftermarket rudder with water pick up. Im runnin a hobby wing 45amp with 3760kv brushless motor.
lower the voltage to the motor?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:05 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by kenthemover
...lower the voltage to the motor?
Yes. A servo binding can pul a tremendous amount of current from the BEC. This, in turn, pulls a tremendous amount of current from the battery which can reduce the output voltage available to the motor. I had this happen on an airplane with an aileron servo that was binding and an old battery that didn't have the oomph it should have.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:09 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by kenthemover
I have a aftermarket rudder with water pick up. Im runnin a hobby wing 45amp with 3760kv brushless motor.
lower the voltage to the motor?
If I recall correctly racing boats are designed to make right hand turns. The rudder is set up to stay in the water as the boat leans into the turn. On a left hand turn water pickup on the bottom of the rudder may be moving up into disturbed water flow and you could be losing cooling. Just a thought.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM
tntpooof

sounds like bec is over taxed,, try a glitch buster on rx or a add a ubec .
Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the servo collapsing the BEC of the receiver........... Disconnect THAT steering servo. Plug in another servo. Do left & right turns with just the new servo connected. ..... Did that servo allow full power during a left turn on the joy stick ?
Plug in the boat servo..........DISCONNECT the servo rod from the rudder. Do a full power left & right run. O K ? yes ? The bind is 1 of the ends of the adjustable threaded clevises......
Check if the threaded rod of the clevis is STICKING INTO the rudder arm only during a left turn. I did that on 2 models.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 AM
kenthemover

Default No left turn

When i turn the wheel to make servo move it travels the same distant each way. And thers is no binding with rudder linkage.
could it be prop being to close to rudder?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:26 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely. A oversized rudder and / or slightly off center line rudder shaft can cause a rudder to not go all the way to a direction.
Is your rudder shaft centered with the prop shaft ?
What is the make & model of your steering servo ? ........It may be a little small or defective. Prop rotation does cause a SIDEWAYS thrust also. You might bee just a little weak on servo power in that direction..

When you hopped up the motor. You might need to get a bigger thrust servo.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM
kenthemover

Default Prop

The drive shaft hangs out just to over hang in the rear of boat. I have a vattera glamish esc and fuze motor. And it flew across water. Turned great and plenty of power in turns. But i sank tge boat. Story for diff day.
How far should prop be sticking out back of boat. Ill have to cut shaft and brass tube down it needs to be closer
kenny