Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Choosing the right ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Herb-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the right ESC

Well, it looks like I might be crossing over from gas to electric. My wife thought that the "Lady Bug" was cute and wanted to build it. I've flown gas planes for about 12 years now and so my electric knowledge is slim.

I'm thinking about using a 280 motor direct drive with a 5x2.5 prop. How do I determine which battery and ESC to use? I would like the option of being able to move up to a bigger motor later.

Is there a website that explains how to determine what ESC is needed as well as other electric questions? I have done a search here at RCU but haven't really found a good answer.

Thanks,
Herb
Old 10-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Choosing the right ESC

For greatest versatility there is no question that the Castle Creations Pixie 20P is the best option. For your 280 you really only need the Pixie 7P but for a few grams more you will be able to use the Pixie 20P for ANY brushed motor which draws 20A continuous or less - that covers every Speed 280, 300, 400, 480, 550, even 600 size! The other huge advantage of the Castle Creations 'P' ESC's (such as the Pixie 7P and 20P, and the Pegasus 25P) is that they have a programmable Low Voltage Cutoff, so that they can be used, not just with NiCd and NiMh, but with Lithium Polymer battery packs, too. [something no non-programmable ESC (i.e. everything else!) can do].

Cheers, Phil
Old 10-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Wingman33

I would caution you on using a 20 amp max controller on a 500 or 600 motor , I am speaking from experiences! unfortunately. POOF! Mike B
Old 10-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Wingman33

I would caution you on using a 20 amp max controller on a 500 or 600 motor , I am speaking from experiences! unfortunately. POOF! Mike B
Old 10-11-2003, 11:52 PM
raycamel

dr kiwi
can you use the brushless speed con. on regular can motors? if you got the time i would be very thankful. i wanted to use li-poly'swith a brushless butt i still have a few can motors, those castle creation one s can do them all right? thanks chuck.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Dr Kiwi

Hi Chuck,

No, no, no, no!

You MUST use the appropriate ESC - brush-type for can motors, brushless for B/L motors.

Mike - I listed 500-600 and the Pixie 20P for use with geared motors at, obviously <20A, but I see from Hobby-Lobby's catalog, that even geared ones can exceed that, so - probably best to remove them from the list of potential Pixie20P/motor combos!

Cheers, Phil