Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

I have a JR8301 that will not develop full power

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

I have a JR8301 that will not develop full power

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 05:22 PM
d-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a JR8301 that will not develop full power

I need help. I have a JR8301 programed in the glider mode the spoiler as the throttle. It seem not to work properly on 2 different motors. An Astro 010 with the standard controller and a Mega 16/87/7 with a new Castle pixie 10 9x4.7 prop. I am using new full charged 7.4v 1700 mah Li-Poly. The Astro 010 is on a Tiny weithing 10oz. with 9x4.7 prop. The Mega motor is on a WingWarrior, a very light foammy. Both planes stagger in to the air and are hardly flyable. I watched a Demo pilot hover the Warrior at half throttle at the NW Expo a couple week ago where I bought the setup.

I have set the TRVL ADJ to +/- 150 for the spoiler/throttle.

I am flying a Pigi this way and it appear to develop full power in this setup. Most of my flying is in full house TD ships.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 02-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: I have a JR8301 that will not develop full power

You're probably trying to draw too many Amps from the 1700mAh LiPoly. None of the mainstream LiPoly manufacturers I know of (Kokam, E-Tec, Thunder Power, Irate, Tanic) make 1700mAh cells.

Are either of these motors geared? The Astro definitely can't turn a 9x4.7 direct drive.

Which Mega are you talking about? They don't make a 16/87/7. The 16/7/7? Geared, I hope.

Are these the EXACT same setups you saw fly, or are they "sorta" the same with some poetic license?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
d-pilot

Matt,

I have a 7.4v 1700mAh Platinum Polymer from Batteries America 2 cell (model 2LP1700). The Astro 010 is geared with a orange metal frame and the ratio seems to be about 3:1. The Mega motor is a 16/8/7 with a Mega factory Microgear and is 2.8:1.

I think the props were 9x3.8 or 9x4.7. The Astro prop came the the used model.

Any suggestions with this new information? I am wiling to change prop and or batteries to get them flying normally.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
d-pilot

Matt,

I put a 3 cell 1500mah high discharge 3.4oz batt($70) on a 9x4.7prop. It flys fine and will almost hoover. I plan to add a rudder servo to my Tiny. I am pleased with the performance now.

I need to do more reading and studding about motor, prop, and batteries combinations. Volts, watts, and amps are foreign to me but I am learning.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yep, sounds like your 1700mAh LiPolys were the older low-discharge type. Those Kokam 1500s will provide up to 12 Amps easily, but the old 1700mAh ones were probably struggling at 6 Amps.