Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

AXI to Jeti Phasor motor comparision

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 11:29 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AXI to Jeti Phasor motor comparision

Can anyone tell me how the AXI 281412 compare to the Jeti Phasor 15/4. I'm a new-be to electrics, so it's all "greek" to me. My project is a Aeronaut Tigercat. Trying to find data that I can compare is tough.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AXI to Jeti Phasor motor comparision

When comparing which motor is best suited for my application, I often start with the mounting scheme and determine which one will work and is there a significant difference.

In this case, one motor has a rotating case and the other one doesn't. Will they both mount for you?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:49 PM
ScYcS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With rotating case, do you mean the whole motor is rotating? As in the outer shell of the motor spins? How is that possible to mount????
Old 04-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Dr Kiwi

Most outrunners are mounted on the back of a firewall, but need extra space around the rotating can. If there is a radial mount for the big AXI's you could attach the motor to the front of a firewall, but you'd still need a hole through it for the 'unused' shaft. The Phasor can be attached behind a firewall or even beam mounted using an Aeronaut mount, and it can be squeezed tightly into the space available 'cos the can doesn't rotate.

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-10-2004, 01:22 PM
ScYcS

Ok, again, the whole motor can on an AXI rotates? I, for example, could not glue the AXI 2212/20 can into something since it rotates?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:17 PM
cafplanekid
My Feedback: (1)

Correct. The black rear part spins, while the front is stationary. Some of the models can be reversed to allow for mounting on the front of a firewall, too. You can use mounts that allow you to mount the front of the motor to the front of the mount and then mount the back of the mount to the firewall, these are the same type mounts used for alot of regular motor mouting. Look at http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motormt.htm at the AeroNaut mounts. Im using one of the S600 size mounts with an AXI 2820/10 in a .40 sized glow trainer conversion, i also have a Jeti 30/3 i will try, using the same moiunt on the same plane.

The advantages of a rotating-can (aka outrunner) motor like the AXI is that you dont need a gearbox, and therefore they can be cheaper and queiter (a good gearbox can cost up to 70 dollars, and gear meshing makes noise). The heavy rotating can produces alot of torque, allowing them to spin a large prop direct drive. The Jeti motors are also good for direct drive, they produce alot of torque. They shouldnt be geared unless you wrap the rotor with Kevlar thread, or else they may over-rev and throw a magnet.

Hope that helps
Jonathan
Old 04-10-2004, 02:20 PM
ScYcS

Ok, that pretty much rules out the AXI motors for my plane (no firewall, mounting with zipties around the shell). I'm looking into the UltraFly from Nippon Dave at the moment. It's an outrunner in a carbon shell that doesn't rotate (the carbon shell that is).

Thanks for info, I almost ordered the AXI and would've had a bad surprise.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Dr Kiwi

You are going to be in trouble if you expect a Phasor or an Ultrafly to be held in place with zip ties! The torque will surely be too much (and, as the motor heats up, your zip ties will soften, loosen, then let go their tenuous grip on the can). You need to securely bolt that motor into a solid mount - you are dealing with 30oz of thrust or more with the Phasor, don't know how much an Ultrafly puts out.

Cheers, Phil
Old 04-10-2004, 02:39 PM
ScYcS

It's a little bit hard to explain. The motor is not ONLY held by zipties. It's a combination of plastic mount, zipties and glue. Trust me, it holds pretty well, but can't have a rotating shell...It holds my Razor motor just fine at full speed.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:01 PM
warbird51

The real Tigercat, being radial engine equipped, causes no problem with room in the nacelle regarding mounting the motors. When Hobby Lobby sold the Tigercat, they recommended the AXI 281412 motor. I read somewhere that someone equipped his with the Jeti Phasor 15/4. I'm just wondering which one would give the best performance.

Thanks, Wayne
Old 04-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis,

Here is a photo of an AXI motor. The entire black metal can (not carbon) spins along with the prop shaft.

Wayne,

I wish Hobby Lobby still sold the Firecat. It was a unique model.

As for the Jeti vs. AXI, I don't see a major difference other than the spinning can. The Jeti seems about $10 more and appears to spin a smaller prop than the AXI. I have many AXI motors and have been happy with them. Hobby Lobby honors any AXI defect or failure with a guarantee in writing that comes with the motor.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89565.gif
Views:	16
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	120968  
Old 04-11-2004, 11:18 AM
warbird51

The Aeronaut F7F Tigercat is now being sold by Dymond Models in Calif. I've been trying to compare these 2 motors on which will give the best performance in the F7F. Things are sure easier to compare in gas powered models<G>

Thanks,

Wayne