Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Float Plane electric questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Keester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float Plane electric questions

I'm outfitting a GWS Beaver with floats, I have rigged a Himax brushless and a Phonix 25 controller in it. It performes well with a 3 cell Li-poly but I am concerned about water hazzards. Should I attempt to water proof my conroller and battery? Does the Lipoly need to breath? I have dunked my micro radio gear with just 8.4 nimh battery packs with little problems, but I worry about the lipoly if it hits the water. Anyone else had to face these issues? Any ideas? Or is it just a bad idea.
Its a good set up over dry land, [using grass] I'm afraid to try it on the water. Thanks for any ideas.
Keester
Old 04-13-2004, 01:09 AM
arx_n_sparx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Float Plane electric questions

I wouldn't seal the batteries or the speed controller! They need airflow to keep their cool. As long as you don't fly off of the Great Salt Lake and stick with fresh water, your ESC and LiPos should be fine. If you dunk them, dry them out ASAP with a hair dryer (Don't overheat the batteries!)

Brad