Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless for Graupner Terry

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 12:33 AM
scudrunner77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless for Graupner Terry

Stock Graupner Terry has a direct drive speed 400 with 6.3x3 folding prop.

Does anyone have any suggestion as far as brushless options go for this plane? I would like to keep the prop and 7cell/1000mAh NiMH batteries that I currently use if possible...
I don't know much about brushless, but would like real vertical performance and I think this is the way to go.

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brushless for Graupner Terry

A good brushless fit for the Terry would be the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mega_brushless.htm]Mega 16/15/4[/link] with your existing prop but the current demands are much higher than the 10amps needed for your Speed 400 motor. The 16/15/4 can draw up to 25amps.

Assuming that your 1000mAh cells are either HECELLS or KANs then you can deliver up to 16-18amps, respectively. This would make the 16/15/5 a better choice for your batteries but you should increase the prop size an inch to a 7x4.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:10 AM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

A good brushless fit for the Terry would be the [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mega_brushless.htm]Mega 16/15/4[/link] with your existing prop but the current demands are much higher than the 10amps needed for your Speed 400 motor. The 16/15/4 can draw up to 25amps.

Assuming that your 1000mAh cells are either HECELLS or KANs then you can deliver up to 16-18amps, respectively. This would make the 16/15/5 a better choice for your batteries but you should increase the prop size an inch to a 7x4.
My batteries are HECELL, 7cell, 1000mah Nimh

The Mega looks like a perfect fit, but I was kind of shocked at the price of brushless in general when I started looking. What about a Himax? They seem much cheaper. Would the
Ha2025-5300 perform well in the Terry? I did read some posts debating the Himax quality...sounds like they would be a good value for my budget and application.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 05:45 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

While the himax will work, there are some downsides. They seem to draw more current than other small brushless motors, their gearboxs seem to be a weak point and several people are using other gearboxes like the GWS to get around it. I use the megas on direct drive and can tell you that they are a good investment. I have not seen the newer, larger himax motor that are coming out. So you are on your own with those.

John
Old 04-19-2004, 04:11 PM
rafter

the terry can not handle a brushless motor unless you strenthin the wing. you can pop it with the motor that it has in to steep of a dive with a little to much up. so be carfull with all that power
Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Dr Kiwi

Motocalc says that a Himax 2025-5300 with a 6.3x3 folder will pull 26A from a 7-cell MeCell 1050 - aaaaggh!

Cheers, Phil