Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Single Motor Belt Drive 2 Duct Fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
c-rayond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Motor Belt Drive 2 Duct Fans

As I had considered a scratch A-10 I'd thought about using a single motor mounted center fuse between the 2, then runing belts (I was guessing I'd use stout O rings off of a motorcycle, probably my 900 Triumph)

What I figured was probably fabing a pully set up, similar to what you have on the water pump of the car and mounting this directly to the drive shaft on the engine, then wraping the belts around a drive pully on the duct fans, one to each fan both off the twin pully on the engine. Tensioners would be put med belt at the fuse wall to the duct fan for each fan/belt and another aon each side of the double pulley on the motor (similar to the drive belt tensioners on an old wards belt drive tractor)

Questions:
1. This sounds to simple minded not to have been commercialized and done. Has anyone seen a commercial vendor that has done something like this?
2. Is there any place you all can think of that lists the thrust atainable for the comercial props vs RPM driven? I realize this isn't going to be a straight line thrust ratio. It'd be similar to horse power by RPM range on an engine, but there has got to be a starting point listed someplace for a point of departure. It would seem like common knowledge but none of the vendors list this type info on many items.

I'm guessing for the drive motor I'll go as strong as I can go. There will be a bit of resistance on the set up, though probably not much more than if I used gears to do the same thing.

Thanks
Wayne