Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help with GP C-50 ESC

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with GP C-50 ESC

I am using an Endoplasma car motor with a GP C-50 ESC and 10 cells. With the 12x8 prop and gear ratio I am using I should peak out at 40 amps, 23-25 amps is the best I can do. Tried two motors, double checked timing (again and again) no luck. I have an identical setup working correctly and I do not want to swap out parts to trouble shoot this one. In other words I do not want to screw up the working system!

Is it possible for an ESC to fail in a mode where it can not support the 40 amp demand?
Old 05-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Help with GP C-50 ESC

What's the voltage at the motor under load? What cells are you using? What gear ratio are you using?

I put some no-name 2000mAh NiMH Sub C cells on my Endoplasma setup, and the best they could do was 25 Amps. The motor was too much load for the cells, and the voltage dropped severely.

The ESC does not determine the amount of current that flows. Voltage at the battery, and the motor load determine current. Since you tried two different motors, I suspect that you're not getting the kind of voltage you're expecting from the battery.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:41 PM
lslewis

Thanks Matt,

The battery is a NiMH Sanyo HR-1950FAUP 10 cells, drops from 12.8 vdc to 9.5 vdc under load of 26.1 amps. Voltage and current measured into the ESC.

Voltage at motor 8.9 vdc measured with an old analog VOM. I believe that the measurement at the motor may be inaccurate depending upon the waveform.

What would you check next? I am at a loss.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Matt Kirsch

Your battery is not fully charged, or its dropped a cell. It should read over 14V straight off the charger, and the battery should be used straight off the charger while it's still a little warm for best performance.

Under load, that battery should be somewhere between 10 and 11 Volts.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:42 AM
lslewis

Thank You again,

As the battery(s) have not been used much I discharged them (you are correct neither battery had much of a charge left) and am in the process of recharging them at this moment. I'll report the results later today. I'll finish the charge on the second battery just before I test.

Appreciate you help and time.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:33 PM
lslewis

Darn,

Charged and warm/hot battery 14.7 volts 30 amps and 11 volts, port motor.

Immediately switch to the starboard motor with same battery, 40 amps, 10.9 volts.

Change port motor no significant change/improvement.

RPM measurements confirm the performance (at half throttle).

I am never going to get to fly this twin!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:58 AM
lslewis

There may be light at the end of this tunnel. I decided to buy another battery pack. Something other than the NiMH Sanyo HR-1950FAUP 10 cells I have been using. I went to the vendor's web page and found this notice:

Important note: All packs are Spot Welded. If you are going to be using this pack in a 40+ amp application please request that we use battery bars. This is usually only an issue for GP3300 and Sanyo FAUP 1950. again, only if you think you will be exceeding 40 amps. There will be a slight upcharge for this (50 cents per cell in which we use the bars). We will not add battery bars to cells that do not need it. On the next page you will be given the ability to add a note to this special pack. Just ask for battery bars to be added.

I bought my packs last November while I was building my plane, I wanted to be sure of the fit. So the packs are essentially new. They are on the way back for retrofit.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Matt Kirsch

Hmm, I missed your last update... Sorry 'bout that.

It just might be the connections in the battery. Something in the mix is providing a high-resistance connection that is preventing current from flowing.

Have you tried running the motors without the ESCs connected?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:15 PM
lslewis

Default Help with Endo System

Matt,

I purchased another ESC and found identical performance. I did have a set back, the unit I thought was performing correctly was NOT. So all of my motors, gear boxes, and controllers are working the same. It almost has to be the batteries, just a very small resistance because of the spot welding could cause the problem. I really hope the new/reworked batteries solve the problem.