Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hardened GWS gear shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardened GWS gear shaft

Has anyone tried to harden the GWS gear/prop shaft? I'm using the 3mm x 60mm shaft and although they are easily replaced, it gets annoying since they seem to bend easily.
Also, is there a good way to straighten them out?
I know, I know, stop crashing and I'll have no more bent shafts [:@] I'm working on that, but its way more fun to play down really low. I guess I'm ducking too often to get outta the way[X(]

I'm going to try to harden a spare shaft tonight and see what happens. There was a good article on RCU a while back on how to go about annealing the steel and then re-tempering it to get what hardness you want. Good thing I printed a copy since I didn't save the link.

Anybody tried this already?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hardened GWS gear shaft

If you harden the shaft and it works, please post your results and methods. I joined the "Bent Prop Shaft Club" yesterday.

Too much up down low does not equal up!

Knocked the wheels off the Slow Stick. I'm not sure if I cracked the front wing mount/landing gear holder or not. Am ordering a whole new second SS for parts....
Old 05-26-2004, 10:36 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Try these guys.

http://www.e-flightline.com/gearboxes.htm

John
Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Ive seen hardened shafts advertised somewhere here. I think "Cobri" was the brand name. Try doing a search. GWR
Old 05-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Airbike

John and GWR, thanks for the link. The stuff they offer looks great but pricey. Its already enough that we end up spending $400+ in electronics to get a $30 plane to fly.

Well, I heated up a shaft til cherry red and then quenched it in water. I don't think anything changed except for the discoloration [&o]. I tested one in the field already when one of the aileron servos locked up [:@]. Yep, bent shaft.

I don't think the shaft is carbon steel as it will not suspend between two magnets. So I guess this heat treating doesn't apply. Anyways, the heating and quenching didn't seem to make much difference so don't waste your time.

Its been a loooong time since my materials engineering classes, does anyone out there know what the stock GWS shafts are made of?

Of course, I'm leaning towards a brushless out-runner motor so I can go direct drive with a 12x6 prop. No more gearbox pinion, spurs, housing, shafts, and noise too!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:54 AM
steve ypsi mi

a old man who was in his 80's told me to heat to cherry red and drop it into oil not water, he worked for GM as a heat treater for 35 years, it worked on a frizzen on a flint lock that had lost the spark because it was to soft.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Airbike

Steve, I was going to try that also, but decided it was not worth the effort since I don't know what the stock GWS shafts are made from. I'll just use (and straighten) the serveral spare shafts that I have until I get one of the Cobri hardened stainless steel shafts (around $9 for shaft + $6 for a prop adaptor) when I run out of spares.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:45 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

lol i had one of those cobri gear boxes from e-flightline and the 400 shaft bent an now im in a pickle and needing to buy a whole new one+gear+housing......... they arent crash resistant
they way it bent was on a NO POWER hand launch,dont ask, an uncle who has never seen a gws plane threw it with my back turned and it took a nose dive barely craking the foam on my me-109 but it bent the dang cobri shaft! So heads up, the can be bent(every shaft can, just some are more likely than others) and it just might have been a bad angle for mine but its bent and i gatta shell out another 30 bucks for a new one.......dumb uncle