Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

370&380,speed 400?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 370&380,speed 400?????

motor i.d. seems to be inconsistant or extremly varied.200,280,300,370,380 speed400.is there a websight that explaines it all.i dont understand why a 540 is called a speed600, or mabuchi380 is called a speed 400 my name is shawn so does that mean i need to be called bruce?
Old 06-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 370&380,speed 400?????

What you see is a result of marketing. It's how various companies choose to market what is literally the exact same motor. There are no laws forcing them to name the motor by some arbitrary standard, and no standard like "displacement" by which to rate the motors, so they use flashy buzzwords to differentiate their motor from the others, or to ride on the coattails of the success of another comany (e.g. every company that calls their Mabuchi RS380 motors "400" is riding on the success of the Graupner Speed 400. It's still the same motor).

To the best of my knowledge, what every company calls a particular motor is not written down anywhere. There's no profit motive in it for a company to do it, and us volunteers, well, we're too busy flying.

Here's a quick synopsis:

The most varied naming is for the Speed 400 motor. These are the Mabuchi RS380 series motors, and are referred to as either 380 or 400 as a part of the name in most cases. GWS calls the motor the EPS400, for example. Speed 400s come in 6V and 7.2V versions. The 6V version is the most common, and is the "hotter" of the two. That is, it spins a given prop faster on a given voltage. While the 6V is "more powerful" in specific situations (i.e. you get a performance boost if you drop a 6V motor in place of a 7.2V), the 7.2V is capable of handling more power. It can be used with up to 10 cells vs. the maximum of 8 with the 6V version.

You'll also see the Speed 300 referred to as a 370, EPS300, or EPS350. It also comes in 6V and 7.2V versions, though the only known wide use of the 7.2V version is in the EPS300.

This information I gleaned from many months of casual reading on various online forums.