Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Are other geared drives as bendy as GWS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are other geared drives as bendy as GWS?

Anyone with a GWS powered plane knows about bent drive shafts. Is this phenomena just a GWS thing or is as easy to bend/break other manufacturers gearboxes too?

Info about Great Planes gearboxes would be benefitial as that is what I'd likely end up getting.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are other geared drives as bendy as GWS?

GWS gearboxes are fine, as long as you don't crash.

What'll happen is if you beef up the gearbox, the plane will break at the next most vulnerable spot. Instead of a bent gear shaft which is easily replaced, you'll tear the nose off the plane in a marginally rough landing. Beef up the nose, and the plane will break at the front of the wing saddle. Beef it there, and it'll break at the rear of the wing saddle. Beef it up there, and the plane's too heavy to fly
Old 06-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Are other geared drives as bendy as GWS?

Matt,

I am just finishing up the BLT that I had when I first logged in here at RCU. I intended on using a GWS 300 motor/gearbox attached to a 2" long 3/8" stick, and lightly CA that combo to the front of the BLT and then wrap a thick rubberband around it to secure it further.

I was hoping in a crash the mount would break off, saving the nose of the plane. I know that would bend a GWS shaft and break the prop, but was wondering if other gearboxes would withstand that punishment unscathed.

I'll be sure to let you know how that maiden goes. You may not recall, but you've given me a lot of info that has helped get the power system for that plane going. I know that was a while ago, but I've been having too much fun flying my Slow Stick.

I'm only a couple of hours away of finishing it, but I'm a bit anxious about flying it. It's my first baby. An ugly one, mind you, but to a parent, beauty is truly in the mind of the beholder.

But wait, is it possible to have anything uglier than a Slow Stick? Hey! At least I can be assured that my kid won't be the ugliest on the block! [sm=bananahead.gif]