Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Combo for scratch built t-28??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:30 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Combo for scratch built t-28??????

Hey all, i am new to electrics, and am wondering what power choice i should go with for a scratch built project. I have scaled down some dave platt plans for a t-28 to 58%. It has a 38 inch ws and i have decided on making it from the lightest possible materials. I need to know what an airplane of this size would be p[owered with. Now, i am not rich, but i would like a nice brushless/lipoly setup. Thanks, here are pix of the plans. Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36807.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	146661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21511.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	146662  
Old 06-29-2004, 09:25 AM
expat flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Combo for scratch built t-28??????

Hi Nick,
The T28 looks a nice subject, tricycle gear and enough dihedral to help stability, but it hasn't got a lot of wing area.

You really need to be a bit more precise about the sort of model you want in order to choose a combination that works.

How light is light - are you going for balsa or depron? Also I'm not clear about the size you are aiming for - 58% of the Dave Platt plan is around 1/10 scale and gives 48" span not 38".

At 1/10 scale I reckon a balsa model could be around 4 lb (1.8 kg) with NiMH cells and might need a 600 motor. (I build bricks though)

At 1/12 scale (41") a balsa model could be around 3 lb (1.3 kg) with NiMH cells. I would expect to use a 400 motor but it will have to fly fast to carry the weight.

If you want to sacrifice a bit of sharpness for a lot of weight reduction then you could aim for a foam model at half that. It would then be a slow flyer/park flyer - and might survive longer. I believe the original T28 was designed to give the feel of the underpoweed jets of the time, i.e. not that much forward acceleration.
For depron a suitable power plant would be a 300 such as GWS EPS350, geared to use a 10x4.7 prop (C type gearbox) or with a 12x6 prop (D type gearbox).
You could go for a brushless such as the Himax 2015-5400 which suits the C type and could be good for aerobatics with LiPoly cells and around 1.1 lb (0.5 kg) all up weight.

Hope this helps. It's always good to hear of scratch builders in these days of ARF's.

Jerry