Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Kyosho cessna 180

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 PM
ELGEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho cessna 180

Hi-
I need some advice,I just got an old/new in box Kyosho Cessna 180 , weighs about 30 oz. without the 500 motor-what would be a good brushless motor for this plane?(52" wingspan- rudder/elv only)- I know it's old, but it can be made to look good so I think it's worth the effort-
Thanks,
Larry G.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:44 AM
pikebishop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kyosho cessna 180

the motor mount is of the conventional bearer type as in a glow plane so a clamshell type mount is appropriate for this plane. fwiw. I crashed mine and bent the prop shaft on the direct drive 540 can motor and had a speed 400 gd sitting around and tried that and it flew well with a smaller pack of nimh and was a real floater. this indicates to mee any geared 400 to 480 brushless would really haul it nicely. mega 16 series or hacker b20 etc. I added ailerons to mine also and it was really maneuverable with the ailerons. this plane was very durable and survived many less than perfect landings while learning. it's weakness is the gear wich can tear out.I eventually left the gear out and it flew much better and landed fine on its belly. have fun. wood glue and tape work well for repairs. tyvek tape works great on foam and is light and very strong. I put it on the top bottom and leading edges of the wings and it really stiffened the wing for little weight gain.