Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

gobrushless.com?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:04 AM
spitfire543

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gobrushless.com?????

what do people think about these motors? can anyone tell me more about them? what do you need to do to make them? i'm just a little confused. thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: gobrushless.com?????

Just look around for discussion on "CDROM" motors. The motors described on the gobrushless.com site are built from the motor that spins the CD on a CDROM drive. From what little attention I've paid, they are quite popular among the park flyer crowd.

IIRC the site details how they're made, how you can make them. They sell the parts and supplies to make it easy.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Wright Flyer

Default RE: gobrushless.com?????

Spitfire - suggest you read the "other channel" where you'll find a ton of discussion about GBL which are, frankly, the greatest thing since bread came sliced. A brushless motor that can put out 10oz of thrust for less than $10? - it has to be a bargain. Sure there's some work involved in putting it all together but at least that way you can choose the wire guage, number of winds, magnet type and star/delta winding yourself to tailor the motor to your need (high speed low torque versus low speed (i.e. Kv) high torque and all stations inbetween). Personally I'm just awaiting delivery of 6 of the GB 1.1 kits having already built my first CD ROM brushless and had the major sense of achievement of flying a 3D shockflyer using a motor I built myself (and you can't complain about the price either - it's virtually "throw away" - (which does mean that if you screw up the worst that happens is you have to junk a $10 motor and start again).

One thing you shouldn't do is think that these motors are the universal solution to all ills - you can't use a standard kit to make a motor with 30oz of thrust - so if that's what you need then these motors aren't for you. But for powering planes between about 7oz and 15oz then they are probably a very good idea - however there's still no cheap solution to brushless speed controllers (which you definitely need) so, while the motor may be $10 the controller is still going to be about $50+

Cliff