Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Jeti Advance 30-3P Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 03:49 AM
luvbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeti Advance 30-3P Problems

Hi there,

I am having problems programming my speed controller.(Jeti Advance 30-3P with lithium support used with a 2s2p lipo pack & connected to a typhoon outrunner)

I have downloaded the operating instructions from the jeti website which instructs you to place the transmitter to full throttle (power on!) then to switch on the model/controller, after 5 sec 4 beeps sound, after another 5 sec the controller enters the timing mode being 5 single beeps followed by 5 double beeps then 5 triple beeps etc.

The problem is after the timing mode is entered and it has run through 5 single beeps then 5 double beeps it just returns to 5 single beeps followed by 5 double beeps going round in a loop!

The controller functions o.k. otherwise and I have flown the model but have had to keep the flights short until I can ensure the battery cut out is set for 2 lithium cells. I would like to optimize the timing for the outrunner motor.

Any help or insights would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Rich
Old 07-05-2004, 05:12 PM
enrique1123

Default RE: Jeti Advance 30-3P Problems

The Jeti advance doesn't need to be programmed, it senses how many ceels you have. You can only use 2 or 3 cell packs with it but it works just the same with both packs without having to program it. When the voltage drops it makes a winding noise that you can hear from the ground and the power decreases then you know that it's time to land. At 2.56V per cell the ESC just cuts off the power completely. Remember that the ESC cuts off the voltage under load so if you take out your pack and measure the voltage it will read something like 7.8 or 7.6, you might think that you have juice left in the pack but in reality that pack is already depleted and needs to be recharged. The voltage level drop a lot when a load is put on a battery. If you really want to be able to program all the settings then the only way to go is Castle Creations or Hacker speed controllers. I like the Castle creations better but the interface for the Hackers is pretty cool too. It's all about preference and what works for you.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:35 PM
luvbus

Thanks for the reply,

I was flying the gear today and had 18 min of runtime on the clock without any funny noises from the controller although the performance was starting to drop so I landed.

The 2400mah pack took 2200ma to charge so I must have been close to the cut off point. I will try running the pack down to cut off in the light of you info.

Thanks for the help

Rich
Old 07-06-2004, 03:04 PM
enrique1123

2200 mah sounds about right for a 2400 mah pack. The sound that I referred to is the winding of the motor, you can hear the difference of the noise the motor makes. The are great ESC just don't try to use a 4S Pack. I found the hard way.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Are you sure you can use that with 3S Lipo? I was reading the info sheet and it says the cut off is 5.67 volts, With a 3 cell Lipo you would kill your battery going that low. It would be safe for a 2 cell though.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 PM
enrique1123

Yeap you can use it with the 3s, it detects the voltage and the cut-off is adjusted. I use it with no problems. I am running 2 Jeti with 2 Mega 16/15/6 on Great planes DC3 and I am running 1300 3s Thunder Power. I have not had any problems I love the set up, It will go almost vertical.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:23 PM
TravelairR

I think the Jeti I'm looking at is a different model, it doesn't say anything in the document about Lipo's, only Nicad and NiMH and it says it interrupts the power at 5.7 volts.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:14 AM
enrique1123

Is it blue or red? if it's red it's not the new Advance one, the red ones have a different voltage cut off than the blue ones. The blue ones or advance are the ones for LiPo's go to this website and see [link=http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/hlavnien.htm]Jeti[/link] you can see the different ones here.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 AM
TravelairR

It is the red one. I was advised to not trust any of them as some errors have been made that ruined Lipo's. I was told the best bet is to do a voltage check every 5 minutes the first couple of flights then when I know the approximate time it takes to get the voltage to 9.5 volts us a countdown timer to shut off early and make sure I don't ruin the battery. I can do that, it's like breaking in a fuel engine. I have a 3S2P 3000mAh Lipo so I think by the time I get the voltage down to 9.5 I'll be ready to land anyway. I have the red covered model now and will follow those steps, I'll get the blue when they come in but probably still follow the steps with any new battery/plane setup. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:18 PM
enrique1123

I am glad I was of service, one last note. This is my personal experience also, when you land and check the voltage, if it is a 3 cell don't let it go below 11.0 volts because the voltage you are seeing is without a load on the battery and once you put a load on it you can see it drop really fast. I found the hard way that without a load 11 volts is the minimum. If you want to gauge how much a battery will last do this multiply the capacity of the battery in amps times 60 and then divide by the load of the motor and that will give you a very good estimate duration going full power for example: 3000 mah battery= 3amps so multiply by 60 3x60=180 then take the result and divide it by the load, lets use a Mega motor 16/15/6 with a maximum load of 18 amps
so 180/18=10 so you know that for sure going full blast with a fully charged battery this plane will fly for at least 10 minutes but since you don't fly full blast all the time the flight time is extended and if you manage you throttle you can fly for easily over 20 minutes. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Twawsi
My Feedback: (1)

I just got the red Jeti JES 030 controller and I need some guidance. It has four markings on it as follows

Li/Br OFF -
Li/Br ON-
NC/NH/BR.OFF-
NC/NH/Br.ON-

but it has five pins to thr right of those markings and they do not match up (side by side)

How do I set the jumper for the Li/Br. OFF? the instructions for setting this do not cover this. Thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 01:36 PM
jdb000001

I have the JES 012 - smaller amperage version of the 030 - with the same jumper configuration. The four settings marked on the sticker are intended to line up with the spaces between the five pins - put the jumper on so that it connects the pins to each side of the setting. Example - the top setting listed is Li/Br OFF, so the jumper goes on the top two pins. Second setting down is Li/Br ON, jumper goes on second and third pins from top. Third setting down is NC/NH/Br OFF, jumper goes on third and fourth pins from top. Fourth (bottom) setting is NC/NH/Br ON, jumper goes on fourth and fifth pins from top (the bottom two pins).