Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
pylon racer
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor timing problem

I have a Himax 2015-5400 motor with the Castle Creations Phoenix 25 speed controller. When I start the motor it kicks back and forth at low throttle. It won't start turning until it is pasted about 1/4 throttle. Once it is spinning I can start and stop the motor with no problem. (brake turned off) I have tried all the different timing and start options available with this speed controller. I have a friend with the same problem. He is running the 2015-4100 and the same controller as me. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a software update that I don't have?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Motor timing problem

It's normal for sensorless brushless motors (i.e. 99% of what's currently on the market) to kick back and forth on startup. That's how the ESC figures out which way the motor is supposed to turn. Excessive kicking will burn the ESC out, though. BTDT.

You might want to contact Shawn Palmer of Castle Creations to ease your fears, or confirm that there is indeed something wrong. Remember that they're a busy bunch over there at CC, so it may take a couple of days to get a reply.

Have you tried the "soft start" feature?
Old 07-30-2004, 07:52 AM
tony_kilwein

Default RE: Motor timing problem

I have the same issue.
I found if i swapped 2 of the wires around it kicked less.
red/white where the ones swapped. I had to swap 2 to turn the right way,
I just picked the ones that kicked less.

Tony