Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How do you stuck a pinnion ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
fnp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stuck a pinnion ?

With what do you stick the pinnion to the motor shaft and when you want to change it how do you remove it. Thanks fnp
Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 AM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How do you stuck a pinnion ?

most pinion gears are a friction fit and have to be carefully driven or pressed on.to remove the gear a micro pinion puller is the best way to go.gws makes a good pinion puller and it is priced very well.search this forum somebody posted a similar thread recently.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:15 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

If a friction fit is not enough, you can use a loctite product to glue the pinon on. All of the on-line guys sell it. Friction fit has always worked for me, but I don't reuse a pinon after its been pulled off.

John
Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 AM
slacsteve
My Feedback: (3)

Use a vise. The motor shaft is usually slightly longer than the motor body so you can put the pinion gear on the end of the shaft while pressing against the other end with the opposite jaw. When the vise closes down to the ends of the shaft you may need to push the pinion farther to line up with the spur gear. So use a few washers with inner holes larger than the shaft to push the pinion further onto the shaft. You need a gear puller to get it off.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something like Slacsteve except I use a drill press. Open the jaws just enough to fit the shaft through and press with the end of the jaws.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:48 PM
pacoson71
My Feedback: (1)

pulling a pinion off of a gws I used a fork and a peice of piano wire.

Put the fork on a vice or support it somehow, slip the shaft down the tines and tap the shaft through.

My Himax has a smoth shaft and the gws pinions slip on and off with ease. I found retaining compound from loctite to work best.

The bottle I bought will last 10 people 10 lifetimes each and it was about 30$.

Loctite 638. try a search
Old 08-08-2004, 01:18 PM
sierra gold

Default Loctite use?

Simple question for those who have experience.

Application of Loctite when installing a pinion gear - apply to inside of gear and slide on? Apply some to the motor shaft also? Clean up the shaft, but leave the slight buildup around the gear?

Any guidance appreciated.

Sierra Gold
Old 08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ones I've put on so far have been a tight press fit so no need for Locktite.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Sierra,

I don't think it's that scientific. The point is to get Loctite between the gear and shaft of the motor. Drip it inside the gear, or on the shaft, or both.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
cougar347

Sierra,

Nothing to it. Clean the motor shaft and the inside of the pinion gear with acetone. Let it dry thoroughly. Use Loctite 609-it's a green color. You can buy it from many of the vendors who sell electric motors and gearboxes-I recommend Bishop Power Products. It comes in a small tube that will do several motors. Put a few drops on the inside of the pinion, line it up where you want it, wipe off any excess, and let it sit overnight. I have over two hundred flights on mine and it's still going strong. Amazing stuff.[8D]

Vince