Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Multiple engine setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple engine setup

Ok I may be getting in way over my head but I came across a plan for an electric C130. Spec'ed for 4 x Speed 400 motors turning 6x3 props and using a 10x 1.7Ah battery pack. Now I am new to electric planes and thinking of this as a future project. Exactly how does this get wired up. Can 1 speed controller work for all the engines? (running in parallel) or do I use 4 controllers. What gear ratio would work? Just trying to figure out a cost of what I'd need.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Multiple engine setup

You can wire up the motors any way you want to. All four can be on one ESC, provided it's large enough to handle the load. They can be on separate ESCs. Then you could also run 2 ESCs, with 2 motors on each. You could also one 3 motors on 1 ESCn and one on another, though I have no idea why you'd do that... This is for BRUSHED motors, like your Speed 400s, ONLY.

When they recommend 10 cells, they're almost certainly talking about 7.2V Speed 400 motors. There's a signifigant difference. IF you used 6V Speed 400s, they'd burn out quickly.

A 6x3 propeller would be direct drive. I suspect that your limiting factor for propeller size will be the distance between the motors on each wing, or the distance between the inboard motors and the fuselage. You probably can't get much more than a 6" prop in there, so gearing wouldn't gain you anything.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Matt

On the 10 cells, would it be 10 cells setup as a 12V pack or 2 - 6V in parallel. Might be silly questions but I'm new to electrics.

Dave
Old 08-31-2004, 10:52 PM

Dave,
i was wondering if you could lead me to the site where i could get one of those electric c130's.