Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

axi or himax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:56 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axi or himax?

i was considering either the axi 2212 series (direct drive) or the himax 2025 with gearbox for the fliton quietstorm (about 19-23 oz).

what are the advantages/ disadvantages of each? the axi motors seem lighter (in part b/c no gearbox needed), and the amp draw seems lower. but the recommended prop sizes are a bit smaller also, compared to a himax with gearbox.

i'd definitely like good vertical performance but i'm not planning on doing any extended hovering or too much 3d stuff. i'm more interested in just basic aerobatics and pattern style flying. i'd like to be able to use my kokam 3s1p 1500mah 8C pack.

if anyone's had experience with one of these motors, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanx,
brian
Old 12-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: axi or himax?

"Uses less Amps" doesn't mean the same thing as "uses less fuel."

If a motor is spinning the same prop at the same RPM, but is drawing fewer Amps, that means it's more efficient. Otherwise, it only means that there is less power going through the motor.

To make the comparison fair and meaningful, you need to run the same battery, the same Volts, through both motors, and see what they do with various props. Hopefully that's what you're looking at right now.

My guess is that the Himaxx will spin larger-diameter props on the same Amps, due to the gearing. While the RPM may be slower, the increased efficiency of the larger prop will give you better 3D performance.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: axi or himax?

I have both --
the geared setup is stronger -uses less power to do same job -

However - neither setup is a winner on a plane that heavy
also both will gobble up that 1500 KOKAM pretty fast.
So -- My own preferrence now --is the AXI-- programmed for max performance - in the 2212 26 - on an 11x4.7APC SF on a model no heavier than 15 ozs all up ready to launch -
for just cruisn around tho -- less power or more weight is fine.
We go thru almost all the new motors - for customers and for LHS to see what are best performance combos - this way I get to see what is really happening - No chart numbers used -- (and I don't have to brag up any brand!)
On another note -newstuff is simply exloding into the market- If you don't see a good combo -- keep looking - don't settle for "good enough"