Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Sportster ESC problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Jerseymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster ESC problem.

My sportster wouldn't give me any throttle. So I tried reversing the channel on my Futaba Skysport, but no help. So as I put the channel back to normal, it started working. But, when you shut everything down, to get the esc to power the motor, you have to switch from normal to reverse and back to normal again.
Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Sportster ESC problem.

What Brand of Esc do you have? Some of the electronic experts would need to know this in order to give any advice. My first thought would be to bring the throttle trim all the way down for 5 sec or so to "arm" the Esc. Also, if your radio has ATV on chan 3, make sure you are at 100%.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I believe he is correct. Great Planes ESCs have an arming sequence that you must follow every time you power up to activate them.

On a Futaba radio, set the throttle servo reversing to "reverse."
Connect the battery.
Leave the throttle at idle for 2-5 seconds.
Move the throttle to full for 2-5 seconds.
Return the throttle to idle for 2-5 seconds.

If you have the wing off, you can see the little red LED on the ESC blink when it's ready for the next stage of arming.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:39 PM
jimbo45cn

Matt is right. Ihave heard that with Futaba you have to have the throttle set to reverse. I have two of these speed controls, and mine take at least 5 seconds to arm once you move the throttle to full.