Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Ive blown 2 motors HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
MTEXX_2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive blown 2 motors HELP

Hey all.

I have an Astro 020 (5 turn) direct drive on a Unicorn (zagi-style) turning a 5.5x5. Powered by 8,9 or 10 cells, it was fine. Then I moved up to 3S2P lipo pack. On the bench, I spun a 7x5 and drew 50A for a few moments. The smell of circuits[X(] I fried my Castle 35 and burnt out a lead inside the motor (no continuity to other leads).

I then purchased a RTF Zagi XS with Aveox upgrade. I put the Aveox motor (20A) in the Unicorn and flew with the LiPo for about 15 minutes then it seemed the LVC kicked in. The motor was hot enough to boil spit for at least 5 minutes[:@] Even days later, it has no "stepped" feel as you twist the prop shaft. An engineer at work says it's "demagnetized"- I cooked all the gauss outta the magnets.

My question is this:
Sure I can get everything repaired, but then what? I'll fry/degauss them all over again My pack can put out 50A and the ESC is now 45A, and my plane is rigid enuf for good speed[>:]. Do I need to move to a "bigger" motor??? Gearbox?

Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Ive blown 2 motors HELP

The Astro 020 motor is only rated to handle 25 Amps. You're trying to push 50 Amps through it. It's no surprise that the motor burned up... It's that whole, "20lbs of salt in a 10lb bag" thing... The bag's gonna break

Sounds like you did the same thing to the Aveox.

In a nutshell, you have to pay attention to the manufacturers' specifications. IF it says 25 Amps maximum, then you either prop it for 25 Amps, or you get a bigger motor that can handle higher currents.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
MTEXX_2

Thanks Matt. I have no question about the Astro; was so excited about the 50A LiPo pack I blew everything else up[:@]

However, the Aveox 27/13/3 motor was running a 5x5 (which came in Trick R/C brushless upgrade kit). This setup runs 18A on bench.
I'm curious how I overheated a 22-30A motor with 18A (prolly less unloaded).

I did manage to get in 2 or 3 Li-Po flights with the Astro before I melted it on the bench and don't recall it being hot like the Aveox.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:42 AM
AgCat1982

How are you running the motor on the bench? It's not good for any of these motors to be run full out on the bench for long. They can burn up.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:29 PM
sierra gold

I just ran your setup - 27/13/3, 5x5 prop and 3S2P through MotoCalc and it says 32 amps static. Not sure how you measured 18 amps, but 32amps on that motor will make it very hot... especially a 15 min. full throttle flight.

SG
Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 PM
bp2005

Sierragold: Buy a WATT METER Bob