Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:53 PM
Trung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do this?

I want to build a B-25 Mitchell Twin electric using brushless motors. Do I really need to get 2 ESC's... one for each motor or can I split the ESC between two motors with sufficient amp rating.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10654.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	257886  
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
locoworks

Default RE: Can I do this?

some say yes, some say no. kontronics do a two motors one controller pack for the multiplex twinjet so i guess they have it sorted? the problem is if on motor starts the wrong way, it kills electrics quickly, which is why one esc per motor is best. another plus is you can mix rudder to throttles and have one motor ease of to help with turns.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:24 AM
wreck_em_all

Brushless ESCs sample what is called back electro-motive force (BEMF) generated by the motor to which they are connected. This BEMF sample is used by the controller to determine motor rotation among other things. Connecting 2 BL motors in parallel mixes each motor's BEMF signal together and can make the ESC cranky. Connecting BL motors in parallel can and has been done. Having 2 ESCs is the lower risk way to go. BTW - BL motors have 3 wires, your drawing shows only 2.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Trung

My bad about the drawing lol... I'm more of a glow plane kinda guy, I just happen to have a few micro servos lying around and wanted to use them in a small twin electric, so I didnt want to spend too much money. Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll get two ESC's then