Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Tower Pro Brushless ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 AM
lostman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Pro Brushless ESC's

Hi guys.

Haven't read all of this thread but re the original poster about Tower Pro ESC. I am a RC dealer and buy/deal from China all the time. And as some people have aready pointed out almost all of this stuff comes from China now anyway. The big boys stuff is only rebadged and re priced, upwards (I know, I visit the Chinese factories often and see these 'top brand' products in the factories). And I am not just talking about the components, most the model planes and helis come from there too, even the REALLY expensive stuff. If I told you how much some of this kit was wholesale you would see how much some of the large distributors are overcharging you. Remember the big boys were all small unknowns once too so give the cheaper brands a try and you may save yourself $$$$s.

lostman
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
russzero

[color=#000066] .. thats interesting. i used to work in the Radio & Tv trade. i saw the same thing there too. lots of main brands with badges for high street chains !! people are so easily fooled. it comes with experience.....
design is a different thing of course. a very big subject ..

but my theory is .. the not so famous must surely be trying harder to get famous .. once theyve acheived this ... well ..
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
russzero

.. id like to go over my 1st post about brushless & the right set up. ive been at it now for about 6mths. ive put in quite a bit of DC flying too. ive wrecked a lipo by not venting it properly & bought a duff lipo .. so now im on my 3rd.!!!
One thing i will stress is that .. be sure to unplug your lipo from the ESC. after a good 12 flights with my new lipo i charged it all up. went up the field & couldnt get to fly. came home & left the lipo connected to the esc & 2 days later found the lipo flat!!! & the lipo had swollen a bit too.... OMG.
I think i was lucky as i swiftly recharged the lipo & the swelling has gone down .. ha .. funny i know .. (sounds like a trip to the doctor). well ive since had another 3 flights .. albeit the lipo is now suspect.

1. make sure it doesnt exceed the current as in the spec
2. if possible check the Amp draw with a test meter
3. adjust the prop to suit the battery & current draw.

& lastly id say if possible try to get the battery in the airflow. ive now re-designed my planes so the lipo is fitted outside the plane. its no big deal but works wonders for the battery.

About the set up .. i would suggest whatever motor u use .. try not to overcook it & the esc & it should be reliable.
See here a demo of my Mk1 DC wing using short lived 2100ma lipo??<Q .. 220wtt motor & 30A esc ... 16oz model. (not sure if i showed this before .. delete it if i have).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLqmaHeZOfQ

Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM
gtok34

Hi
Where i found the manual of tower pro Esc 30A mag8??
The site of tower pro is down.
please if we can send me the manual in
[email protected]

Thanks George
Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 AM
russzero

its not a Tower pro ESC ... but a 30A Wow. maybee usefull to someone. ive scanned the start up procedure ...

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/373e2869ee.jpg

or here>>>

Old 06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

To the "keen electronics expert" quite a few posts back. There is a reason that most ESC can't power many servos.

Your simple solution is too "simple" With three Lipos (11.1 volts) your 3 amp regulator will drop the voltage from 11.1 to 5 volts - a voltage drop of 6.1 volts and a series current of 2.5 amps will result in that "simple" regulator having to disapate 2.5 x 6.1 = 15.25 watts - that will toast your regulator unless you install a giant heatsink.

4 or 5 lipos and the problem gets really bad. (as if 15 watts isn't really bad)

You can do it with a switching regulator system - but then - that isn't so simple.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM
fahadamankhan

have recently bought an ESC 50 controller for a 2908 10T motor with 3 Lipo 2200 mah. following your manual given online when i connect the battery with ESC it gives 2 beeps but doesnt give the beep for flight readiness.
Also it is not giving beeps when i connct the battery with full throttle to go into program menu.

Can i reset the ESC. or what do you suggest ?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Stokes

i'm not sure, but could it be that you don't have a battery pack for the receiver? the 50A BESC from towerpro has no BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) to power the receiver, so it could simply mean that your motor and besc are not receiving the instructions you give them through your transmitter. Does that solve your problem?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
fahadamankhan

thanks for your reply ,,,

i checked the transmitter,,, it shifted the thorottle to mode 2 settings ,, that i corrected and the motor worked....

but there is one more thing,,, as i am using TowerPro 2908-10T motor ,,, it is written on thier site that this motor requires ESC of 50A and 3 Lipo to operate ...

but in my case when i connected three lipos (11.1V) the motor died down after 30% throttle ,,i checked the ESC 50 manual and it says that it works on 13-25V .... so now i am using 4 Lipo (14.8V) and it seem to work nicely ....

why dont these people put right things on the website and with manuals making out some sense ....

Old 01-31-2008, 05:59 AM
Stokes

haha - yes how stupid of me....forgot to tell you that. They require 4s lipo to operate correctly. Problem is with 4s, at least on boat applications, its very easy to overshoot the current rating. So mine is in the drawer gathering dust....for exactly the same reason. Good luck!

Andrew
Old 04-23-2008, 03:58 AM
dikkyboy

I see that you have the futaba skysport 4yf system.
for futaba, the throttle has to be reversed for the speedy to work.
hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Inyosi

I recently bought some HiTech servo's with karbonite gears on the dealers advice. But my Ultimate 160 with a gas motor was not a good combination. Now looking around a second time for good servos, I found the tower pro servo's, lets hope that they are good enough. My point I want to make is this, How can dealers/manufacturers have such a difference in price for basically the same product. The same can be said for gas engines , a DA50 price against a CRRCPRO 50 is ridiculous. If it comes down to performance and reliability I beleive the chinese are catching up fast. Maybe some of the bigger dealers need to look at themselves and there prices
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
rc-fans88

Towerpro 30A ESC is no problem