Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC, battery, prop question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 PM
lcbabj
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC, battery, prop question

I had been flying an Eflight tribute for a year and decided to build a Flatout Flatana. Used my Eflight park 370 (workhorse) 2 cell lipo with 10 am Phoenix ESC. The Flatana flies fine but I have used 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to hang it on the prop and keep it hung. A fried told me I dont have enough ESC and should go to a 3 cell lipo. Bought a 40 amp GWS ESC today and plan on trying that. The Eflight 370 brushless according to the specs should pull up to 13 amps. I assume I have been limited to 10 with my current ESC and costing myself some power. I am using an APC 1X3.8 prop and my gear ratio os 6.6:1. I bought this ESC with the intent of going to a 3 cell someday if need be. Is this ESC overkill for my setup and do you all think I will notice a little extra push with this ESC?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ESC, battery, prop question

GWS makes a 40 and brushless ESC, where did you get that?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for the slow response in your other thread but I answered it tonight. Basically I would go with an ESC larger than 10 amps.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 AM
BrunswickOH

ORIGINAL: lcbabj

do you all think I will notice a little extra push with this ESC?

Chris
No, if anything it will be worse because of the extra weight! The Phoenix 10 isn't shutting down at 10A that is just the current draw that it is rated to run constantly without over heating and being that it's out in the open air on your Tribute it's probably fine to run at a constant 12-14 amp draw as I think it's rated for 10A continuous and burst to 14 if I remember correctly. In your Tribute you're hardly using full throttle and would more then likely be safe to use a 11x4.7 prop instead of your 10" considering you're using 6.6:1 gearing. Keep in mind that you should check your current draw with any new setup to make sure you're not going to kill your battery or speed controller.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:47 PM
lcbabj
My Feedback: (7)

Brunswick...thanks for your reply. I will try the 11" prop.

Ineedhelp...that's an Eflight 370 brushless and a GWS 40 amp ESC....my mistake.

Thanks for your advice and responses fellows.

Chris