Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

E-flight 46 And 60 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:32 AM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flight 46 And 60 motor?

Any Body Flying The E-flight 46 Or 60 Motors?Just Got a Few In At The Hobby Shop.
Just A Little Math.Using A 46A Engine With A 10 OZ Tank And $17.00 a Gallon For Fuel.Figuring That The li-po Pack Will Charge 300 Times.The 46 Motor,77 Jeti ESC And A TP 4000 Pack ($145.00) The Electric Is Much Cheaper To Run,With 2 Battery's It Is About The Same.
Can You Use 300 As A Safe # Of Charge Cycles?The Only Variable.
Thanks
John

Thanks Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Mike Parsons

Default RE: E-flight 46 And 60 motor?

John,
Life cycles of a battery are really dependant on many factors. I think 200 would be safe, but I know pilots, that have well over that number of cycles on their packs.

-Mike
Old 11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

One or the other will always be "cheaper" to operate depending on how you look at the numbers. I refuse to even look at it that way. I have yet to fly ANY plane to the point where I've worn out a glow engine, battery pack, or motor. Either I crash it, or I get bored with it.

At this point, any "big glow" conversion has to be considered as an investment in the future of R/C. You're helping a market segment to grow, and as it grows, the costs will drop. Just look at these Eflite motors themselves. $130 for a brushless motor with the capacity to fly a .60-size glow plane? Not that long ago, you'd easily drop $500 on a brushless motor that large, and you'd have to deal with complicated gearboxes.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:39 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a good point there Matt...
The advent of brushless motors and Li-Po batteries has transformed electric flying IMO.
When I first started flying w/ E power about 5-6 years ago, you were pretty much on your own...
I was known as the club's "electric guy" because I was the only one doing it.

Now, there is so much information available, and especially with RCU, etc. that the potential is just fantastic
Old 11-26-2005, 09:43 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost forgot!
I got a couple of the older guys (good friends of mine ) "hooked" on electric power...
One of them is putting the E-Flite 46 outrunner in a Rascal 40...

I'll keep ya'll informed of the progress.