Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Does it matter Big/Small Deans

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Gotta_Fly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it matter Big/Small Deans

Hello Fellows

I know I have been asking a lot of questions in this electric area, but I'm Rookie in training, so if I ask some stupid questions, You guys be easy on me, the only reason I'm saying that, Man I've seen you guys turn in to Paronus(I'm not sure how you spell that, You know them fish) and where some folks out, Hell I didn't know if I should laugh or send the guy some get well flowers....
Anyway I'm mainly into the bigger birds, but I wanted something where I could fly in my yard( some of you guys are so good your flying in the kitchen over your Moms head while she's cooking) anyway what turned into a simple fly in the back yard turned into a full blow Heroin Electric addiction, now I have bought everything thing a person could want as far as Electric, Glow and Gas, Glow and Gas in the pass 3 years, But I have a wonderful soon to be wife in December, who just loves that I'm 39 years old and still a big kid, But I've been truly blessed in my life I live in Nashville, TN and I have had a wonderful career in the Music business(Drummer) so this Hobby works out great for me cause I usually work 6 to 8 months(tour, studio, many different other things) and I then I get 5 sometimes even 7 months off to play. Well not that you guys cared to hear about that but maybe now some of you guys will have some sympathy on me if I ask a question, and your mentally thinking what a dumb Son-of-a-
&%&. Anyway I really thought a lot of this would be like your regular 28, 33, 35 and 40% planes, and it is as far as the setup but now because of my RC Electric heroin habit, I'm afraid to buy any electric plane magazines or view to many Electric websites( But I do, cause I'm a Junkie) but the problem is and this is an example, by the time I have done my research and found the perfect setup for let's say a 15 to 18 oz foamy, and me living in Nashville I'm 2 miles from Danielle's Hobby Shop, and 6 and a half miles from Hobby-Lobby which is world wide, Now lets just say I hoped in my car and headed to Hobby-Lobby to get this new and improved see through inrunner motor with see through prop and gear, and the ESC now plays MP3's, by the time I get have way there, there will already be 4 new motors, and the people at either Hobby shop will say, now why in the hell would you want that, its been out for 3 days Man....
Now I hope you guys understood where I was coming from with this, And for you guys that have been flying these Electrics before they really started taking off here in the past 3 years. Your Going to say Hey Randy just find something you like and fly it till the wings come off, And that's exactly what I'm trying to do now, I just had to buy I WHOLE bunch of stuff to make sure I find exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm also going to RCAA meetings twice a week( Remote Control Airplanes Anonymous) You guys should come one evening and hear me it would truly break your heart, I will stand up and state my name and say Hi My name is Randy and I'm addicted to Phoenix Brushless controllers 10 through 125 models,12x6 slow Flyer Props, Hitec servos 55 all the way to Digitals( and usually you hear a few people start to cry as they feel my pain)and the worst part is now I'm using Fromeco and Duralites.....

But anyway guys I thought I would loosen everybody up. But here's my Deans question, I charge my Lipos with my Triton, and as everyone knows the Triton Charges everything, So what I have been doing over the past few months is making all my batteries and connections Deans plugs, just to make life easy, but I have a few Phoenix 10 ESC controllers, and about 5 Kokam batteries that are 11.1v 340mAh the small light ones, 3 or 4 hitec RX 270mA batteries, I use those in Chris's Extreme Flight RC mini's he used to sale(Man there a blast to fly), But anyway I have both sets of Deans big and small, so basically would it be OK putting on the bigger Deans on all your smaller stuff, surely it wouldn't be a weight issue. anyway all your help you be great guys, and like I said I have a list of small questions that I'll post one at a time,sometimes when you ask so many questions at once people forget and only answer two out of 5...

Anyway thanks again Fellows and Take care

Randy
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Does it matter Big/Small Deans

Randy,

I am an admitted lazy modeler so I like to keep things pretty simple. Though, I've been competing in electrics for 12 years so I am also stuck in my ways. I have been doing just what you're asking about, putting the larger Deans plugs on my smaller lipo packs. I have a couple of foamies that use 3S 1350 & 2100 size packs. I had one pair of smaller 2-pin Deans plugs but didn't have any extra to make a charge adapter...so I just used what I had. I promised myself I'd go back and change them to the smaller connectors....that was 2 years ago. I also am notorious for leaving the correct charging adapters on my workbench and having to borrow or make-shift one at the field. If most of my stuff is set up on the same plug, it's never an issue.

My only grief with using the larger Deans plugs is not weight, it's the fact that they take a lot of force to separate compared to the smaller ones. When I'm disconnecting the batt from the controller I sometimes worry about inflicting damage to the plane as they come apart. The larger Deans are over kill and the smaller ones are lighter and more tidy, but in the end you'll gravitate toward what works best for your hangar of planes. Sounds like you already have an idea of what works for you.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:19 PM
goldguy

It all comes down to how many amps your putting through the connectors. I use the small Deans on all applications up to 8 amps.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Supposedly, the small ones will take up to 15 amps. The larger ones go to 100 amps plus, so they are certainly over kill on the small stuff...
Found this
DEANS MICRO PLUG - The Deans 2-pin Micro Plug connector series is designed for slow and park flyers, and is part of a new micro plug line that will eventually replace previous Deans micro connectors. They are available in polarized versions with red or black housings. A ridge on the rear of the housing allows for easy connection and disconnection. Weight (pair): .9g; Current Max: 15 amps; Part No. 1221 (black), 1222 (red); price—$1.55 (pair)