Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

HIMAX motor repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Airdale CPO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIMAX motor repair

Well, I am not sure if I am in the right forum area and I am sure that I will be moved if I am not.

Question is that I have a Himax (2015-4100z) brushless motor that is geared and I got into a bit of trouble when I didn't put that silly tiny little $.01 screw in the block and then went flying. Yep, it came off and twisted the motor and the wires. (Oh, this is the second time I had twisted the motor and wires but the first time it all worked. Why don't ailerons work well in reverse?) Anyway, the red wire on the back of the motor is by far broken.

On this type of motor, how do I get access to the wires to do a repair or am I !QUOT!crap out of luck?!QUOT! I am not sure if the back will pop off or the front when the output shaft screws off.

Thanks for your time!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HIMAX motor repair

Wierd..I posted a reply yesterday and now it's gone!!??
Anyway, if the wire is broken off inside the case, you may be SOL. If there is a little bit left sticking out of the case you may be able to save it but it takes either a solder pot or some tedious wire insulation removal with a dremel and a wire brush attachment. Take some pics and post them here or email them to Himax. They're pretty good with responding to emails in my experience.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 AM
A10FLYR

Yup...I didn't like what you wrote so I deleted it
Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Troy-RCU

Is that a joke or did you delete it? I gave the same advice here??
I'm not sure how the moderation goes in these forums since I see some pretty nasty exchanges in other forums.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
A10FLYR

Of course it is!!!! RCU had meltdown of some sort last nite and lots of posts in other forums were deleted as well. That's the reason for the

Edit....check in RC Jets forum.....under "thread deleted" You'll see what is going on.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Troy-RCU

Gotcha.. I now notice some of my posts are missing.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Airdale CPO

Well, I had a little bit of the wire showing out of the back of the motor. I had a friend of mine try and fix it and he stated that it was a pain. He said that everything that he did with trying to solder it failed. He said that the wire just wont take solder and he tried really high heat. He did give it back and said try it and It just would not work. I pulled back the job he did and it just fell apart. I guess that I probably am SOL. I appreciate the advice though.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Troy-RCU

The reason solder won't stick to the wire is because it has high temp insulation on it and you need to clear it away to have solder stick. You need to either go strand by strand and strip the insulation off, use a wire brush on a Dremel, or dip it in a solder pot (which basically melts/eats the insulation off). I feel your pain, I've had this exact same thing happen. Try and contact Maxx Products or who ever you bought it from. They may have a solder pot or a way to repair it. Maybe a nice individual around here would extend their services, you never know. That's why I mentioned to take pics and post them here.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Airdale CPO

Thanks Troy-RCU for the advise. When I mean there is a "little bit of wire" sticking out, I mean a little. .021in to be exact. So I will probably go a head and get a new one. Heck I will most likely shop here on RCU.

Again, Thanks Troy-RCU for all the help.