Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

A Spur Gear Pinion question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Neverquit347

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Spur Gear Pinion question

I have a 11 tooth pinion on my brushless motor. I need to get a new spur gear, what size should i get. The one I was using did not fit into the pinion all that well and shaved the spur teeth off.

And how do you figure out those ratio number?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A Spur Gear Pinion question

In the dictionary, next to the definition of the word "vague," is a picture of that post

Seriously, without knowing more about what you have, there's not a whole lot we can do to help... Knowing what motor, what gearbox, and what gear ratio you're looking for will help.

The ratio is how many times the pinion gear has to spin to make the spur gear go around once. 3:1 means the pinion has to spin 3 times to make the spur go around once. It's a proportion, and it also tells you how many teeth each gear needs to obtain the ratio through simple multiplication. To get a 3:1 with that 11-tooth pinion, for example, you multiply 11 times 3 to get 33. This tells you that you need a 33-tooth spur gear to get a 3:1 ratio.

It sounds like you either didn't adjust the mesh properly, or you had the wrong number of teeth on one or more of the gears.

Some gearboxes have slots which allow you to adjust the motor up and down so the gears mesh properly. You can use practically any combination of gears that you can find on boxes like these.

Some gearboxes do not have this adjustment. You can only use certain combinations of gears on this type of gearbox.