Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Sermos / Anderson Powerpole?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sermos / Anderson Powerpole?

I heard Sermos connectors are Anderson PowerPoles with a custom plastic shell and thicker silver plating on the contacts. Seems like they are several times more expensive than stock APP's.

I'd like to use the Sermos in critical, high-current applications, and cheaper APP's for charger cords, conversion cables, low current Speed 300/400 drives, etc. etc.

Does anyone know if the premium Sermos connectors will mate with the cheaper APP's?

Old 05-20-2006, 10:15 AM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Sermos / Anderson Powerpole?

Hey balsacutter,
To my knowledge "Sermos" connectors have always been APP, but Sermos introduced and marketed them to the R/C community many years ago, so the name sticks. If you check some of the online vendors you will see that there are contacts rated for different current and wire gauge, but I have never seen any difference in the plastic bodies, to my knowledge there is no issue with mating, I've been using them since the late 80's. Good luck, and lets see what others have to offer, since I don't consider myself a guru
Regards,
Pete
Old 05-20-2006, 02:48 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I've been using these connectors since I started playing with electrics. I used to solder these on but have since bought a crimper from West Mountain Radio. It will crimp three sizes of connectors, 15amp, 30amp, and 45amp. Sure saves lots of time and burned fingers. They also offer them in bulk at great prices. Try their web site at westmountainradio.com. Just be sure when you push the metal piece into the plastic outer piece, that you hear an audible "Snap". Problems can arise if you don't.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
pilotpete2

Hey MrMulligan,
Where do you fly in Monmouth county? I'm a former member of the Pine Barrens Modelers down in Ocean County, main field there is Coyle field on Rt 72. We really had to watch the noise down there, what with those guy's over in Warren grove and their Gattling guns Great sound, as long as you weren't in their sights[X(]
Regards,
Pete
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Pete, I fly with the Jersey Coast Sport Fliers out of Doorbrook Park in Colts Neck. We've been there quite a while and also have to watch the noise. A lot of guys are converting to electric which should help. Check out our web site.
www.jcsportfliers.org
Old 05-21-2006, 10:42 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

MrMulligan is right about crimping being the way to go. I sold lift truck parts for a while and sold Anderson connectors that were capable of carrying a thousand amps plus, and we never soldered them to the cables (about the size of your thumb or bigger); they were crimped on. They snapped into the housing just like the little ones, too, but they used a one piece two conductor housing. JIM
Old 05-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Balsacutter
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the info on Powerpole connectors.

And most of what I know agrees with you guys about crimping, the aerospace industry has done a lot of work in this area and the general rule is that a good mechanical crimp beats a solder joint evey time. Of course they pot the backside of their connectors to complete the mechanical bond.