Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC PROGRAMMING

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 AM
that-guy-steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC PROGRAMMING

Just when you thought you saw the last post on ESC programming problems, along comes another[:@].

Having just purchased a matched motor/ESC combo ([link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_77&products_id=201]BLC-30A BM2410-12Y[/link]) from [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/]Aero-Nuts.com[/link] I thought that everything would be good (HA!).

That brings me to the reason for this post. The programming instructions are writtin in English-interpreted Chinese ([link=http://photo.aero-nuts.com/ABLC%20Manual.pdf]here[/link]). I was able to interpret the interpretation but I can't save the program and the motor will not arm. Each time I attempt to start the motor, the programming beeps begin all over again. I've contacted the seller and the dialog is below. My feeling is that I'll just need to chalk this up to a learning experience, bite the bullet and buy a new ESC from a reputable seller. Unless of course someone in this forum has had success and can guide me. (I probably should have gotten an ESC that can be programmed via a PC and USB port.)

Thanks
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My original correspondance wth [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/]Aero-Nuts.com[/link].

----- Original Message -----
To: "PanLau"
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:33 PM
Subject: Enquiry from Aero-nuts.com

>
> Hello,
> Please tell me how to set the low voltage cutoff on the BLC-30A ESC.
> Thank you in advance.
> Respectfully,
> Steve W (Customer)

AERO-NUTS REPLY:

"PanLau - Aero-nuts.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello!

To enter the programing mode.
1 ) Turn on the TX and turn the throttle to the "full throttle" position.
2 ) Connect the batteries to the ESC and you will hear the sound from the
motor. (all the single will repeat 3 times)

.-` _ battery and cell count
.-` _ _ Break
.-` _ _ _ Timing mode
.-` _ _ _ _ PWM

when you hear " .-` _" move the throttle stick to middle position.

And then you will hear

._ Auto (for nicd or nimh)
._ _ 2cells li-po
. _ _ _ 3cells li-po

Please turn the throttle stick to "Full throttle" position if confirm the
setting.
After that you will hear a beep, that mean the setting saved.

If you are finished to setting it. turn the throttle sitck to "lowest
throttle" position.
And you will exit the programing mode. and start the motor.

Thanks,

PanLau
www.aero-nuts.com
[email protected]

MY FOLLOW-UP QUESTION TO AERO-NUTS.COM:

To: PanLau - Aero-nuts.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: Enquiry from Aero-nuts.com

(BLC-30A ESC)

Hello Pan,
I am so sorry to bother you again.
I have been able to select my options, however, moving the throttle full down (lowest throttle) will not save the settings and motor will not start. In fact, moving the throttle to start motor causes the ESC to enter the program mode once more.
I don't know what to do.
Thank you
Sincerely
Steve W

AERO-NUTS.COM FOLLOW-UP REPLY:

It's ok never mind

when you hear " .-` _" move the throttle stick to middle position.
It is middle position

Please try again

Thanks,

PanLau
www.aero-nuts.com
[email protected]

MY CURRENT REACTION:

HELLO?????
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 PM
spicedcrab

Default RE: ESC PROGRAMMING

just a thought, maybe you need to reverse channel 3 on your transmitter, if its not reversed, it may not be giving the correct signal to your esc, so in effect, it wont save for you. worth a try anyway, good luck.

john
Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
coolbean

Also if you are using a programable radio, make sure your throws are set at 100% in both directions. Make sure your center is at 0. Exponential at 0 and trim tabs neutral.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 PM
WhtBronco

Now that you have the ESC I'd try the suggestions above. They both seem possible and easy to try. Next Time I'd get a Castle Creations ESC. Their support is great and with the USB Link programming is super simple. Sounds like you know that already though.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 AM
260178mp

Looks like I am just in the right place.[8D]
I am a problem with 20-Amp Brushless ESC EFLA311B(Efite).
Using this in combination with Himax HC2812-1080 out runner motor,Battery lipo Thunder Power TP1320-3SJ(3 cells), radio Futaba 6EXAS radio system computer radio w 127rx &3004 servos.

[&:]My problem is that initial when I used this ESC it worked fine and then now after several trial to check the trim of all the Air flight control, the ESC does not give me the alarm sound indicating that the system is ready to start.
So now the motor does not start I am only getting the singal beep.

Esc in reciever is connected to channel 3. The default setting from the factory for this ecs is brake off and low votage cutt off to Lipo. Could any one find a solution to this problem. I am not able to fly my airplane just because of this esc. Is there any other setting I need to do in to my radio like trim and expo ????//....[&o]
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM
mikebageejr68

After receiving my first order from Aero-nuts.com for a couple of 2409-12T brushless motors and a couple of BLC-30A brushless speed controllers, I tried in vain to program the ESCs. No instructions were included! After email tag with Pan Lau at Aero-nuts.com, I had gotten a programming guide. This only made matters worse with the ESC. The programming guide didn’t seem to match up with what the ESC was doing. More emails and Pan Lau offered to exchange both of the ESCs for the newer Sword ESCs (SBLC25A). I didn’t want to pay to ship them back and also wait for the round trip. So, after much research, digging, and playing with the ESCs, I think I have figured things out.
The programming guide that was referred to was exactly the same as a TowerPro G2 (generation 2) 30 amp ESC programming guide which allows 2-4 LIPOs. It has become obvious that these “Aero-nuts BLC-30A” ESC were actually made by TowePro and are NOT the G2 (generation 2) version. In fact, these ESCs say right on them 2-3 LIPOs, which further confirms that the programming guide is for a different version of ESC. These Aero-nuts BLC-30A ESCs are really TowerPro W30A (gen1?) Type A ESCs (without a jumper) and they are VERY basic and automatic. These ESCs do NOT play a melody (rising tone sequence) when starting.

The only programming options for these ESC are:
1) LIPO automatic protection (2S or 3S, e.g. 6V or 9V)
- or -
NiMH/NiCD auto protection (0.8v per cell)

2) Brake toggle ON/OFF (ON by default)

The following is taken from the manual for the TowerPro W30A (I have edited it for clarity):
Brushless Motor speed controller Manual
W12A/ W25A/W30A

Operation Limit:
12A: max current 15A, continuous current 12A for 10 minutes
25A: max current 30A, continuous current 25A for 10 minutes
30A: max current 35A, continuous current 30A for 10 minutes

Voltage Range: 6V-12V
Number of Batteries: 4-12NiMH, 2-3LiPo
BEC Output: 5V1.5A.2LiPo\4-5mini servo, 3Lipo\3-4mini servo
Protective Functions:
• Automatically select 2-3LiPo,protective voltages are 6V/9V respectively;
• Automatically select NiMH, the protective voltage for each battery is 0.8V.
• Safe start –will not start if the throttle stick is not in the right position;
• Temperature protection, shutdown if the surface temperature reaches 110℃
• Loss of control protection: Shutdown after 1 second if signal lost.
Performance:
• Motor limit:
o 2-pole max RPM: 300000 (300K)
o 12-pole max RPM 50000 (50K)
o 14-pole max RPM 42000 (42K)
• For 8KHz pWM control ,
• Position of the full, throttle will be adjust automatically
• BEC and MCU use separate power supply for table operation.

Legend:
“BEEEEP” = long and loud beep
“beeeep” = long and softer beep
“B” = a short beep

Following this normal start procedure:
1) Turn on TX
2) Set to no (lowest) throttle
3) Plug-in power to receiver/ESCs

You will hear this:
BEEEEP (if Auto LiPo protection is on) - OR - BBB (if auto NiMH/NiCD protection is on)
(5 second pause)
B
(1 second pause)
B
(1 second pause)
B
(1 second pause)
B
(1 second pause)
B

Motor is armed. Actually Motor is armed after the initial long beep, but its safest to wait unti the beep sequence is complete.

For the programming procedure:
NOTE: for FUTABA series transmitters, the throttle channel should be set to REV (reversed).
1) Turn on TX
2) Set to Full (highest) throttle
3) Plug-in power to receiver/ESCs

You will hear this:
B
(1 second pause) (LIPO automatic protection menu item)
B
(1 second pause)
BB
(1 second pause) (NiMH/NiCD automatic protection menu item)
BB
(1 second pause)
BBB
(1 second pause) (Brake selection menu item)
BBB

And then the sequence repeats over and over.

4) To select a menu/submenu option switch the throttle stick, to the lowest position at the first time interval. (For example, to select LIPO automatic protection: switch the throttle stick to the lowest position when hearing the first B sound) (the zone between the first B and the second B above, about a 2 second window)

5) You should hear “beeeep” to indicate that the setting was saved.

6) If there are other settings you want to program then quickly (within 2 seconds of the save sound, beeeep) switch the throttle to the highest position to return to the main menu beep sequence.

7) If you have finished with all your changes, then wait 2 seconds and the motor will send a confirmation sound “beeeep” (long, softer beep), saving the setting. After this, the ESC will confirm that the throttle is in the lowest setting (move it there if it is not) and then do the normal startup sequence, after which, the motor is armed and you are ready to go.

NOTES:
- LIPO automatic protection has only 2 voltage protection points, 6V when it auto detects a 2S and 9V when it auto detects a 3S (basically 3V per cell). There is no need to use a full capacity battery.

- NiMH automatic protection is set at 0.8V per cell, calculated according to the real number of batteries. In order to ensure accurate judgment of the battery voltage, please charge the battery to full capacity. If the battery is not at full capacity. The speed controller will estimate the protection voltage according to 53% of the full capacity.

- The brake is initially ON by default. The brake setting toggles. If already the brake is already on, the selection of this menu item with turn it off (between the BBB and BBB in the program sequence). If the brake is already off, the selection of this menu item with turn it on.

- Factory parameter reset function: because this series of electronic governor has an overheating and false operation protective function, if you find that the speed controller is accelerating or changing its direction, or the throttle is different from the original condition, you can reset the factory parameters to obtain the highest performance. (not sure what this means or how to do it)

IMPORTANT:
When starting in normal use mode, if the first thing you hear is a long BEEEEP this indicates that the ESC is in LIPO automatic protection mode, but if you hear BBB (three short beeps together) this indicates that the ESC is in NiMH/NiCD automatic protection mode.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 AM
critterhunter

There are four or five versions of the generation two Tower Pro 30 amp ESC on the market, all with different programming options. Several instructions are also wrong. I would highly recommend anybody using one of these to go on RCGroups.com and look for a thread that starts with "Coution" (Caution spelled wrong) in the power sources forum. Also look for another new thread in there on the 30 amp Tower Pro ESC that I just posted for more info on the "latest" version of ESC.