Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

motor battery gearing question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:07 AM
adwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor battery gearing question.

Please can anyone either answer these questions or be so kind as to point me to a source of this info.
I am not a electrical person so it needs to be simple.
The syle of flying is slow scale flying no 3d or high torque stunt moves.

I have just bought a New Z-Power Z50-600/Conversion kit with Phoenix 85 esc to fit to a Raptor 30.
As this kit was originally intended for a Raptor 50 it is supplied with a 9 and a 10 tooth pinion and the choice of the original main gear or a optional extra 86tooth main gear. The recommended battery was a 10s [in other words 36 volt].

I found the comment below from another post and would like some help with the meaning.
"quote"
The main difference is that with the R30, you are going to probably use a smaller pack setup (i.e. – 8s vs. 10s…). Just order the R50 version, add the option for the 86T main gear and I will send you the 85T instead.
"end quote"

what I don't understand is :-
1why is the smaller lower voltage 8s[28.8 volt] pack being suggested?
2 what happens if I use a 10 s pack [already purchased]
3 what gear combination would be correct for a 1os pack? and why?
4 how do work out from a motor spec what is the correct battery size?
5 I also have a devatl 36 volt pack as has been discussed recently and this fully charged measures 45 volts dispite being a 10s
pack why is that for goodness sake?

see why I'm confused and want simple answers?

regards
Alistair

Old 10-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: motor battery gearing question.

1. Assuming R30 = Raptor 30, the 8S pack is being recommended because of the lower power requirement of the Raptor 30 airframe.
2. Increasing the number of cells increases the voltage, which in turn increases the power output of the motor at the expense of shorter flight times and higher current draw (Amps).
3. I will have to defer on this one.
4. You don't. You pick the battery first and choose your motor based on that.
5. 36 Volts is only the rated voltage. Fully charged, the pack voltage will read higher. Fully discharged, the pack will read lower.